• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NV4500 swap questions

The Baron

So I have beenseriously considering swapping out my TH400 for NV4500 in my 1984 M1009. To bequite honest I'm a novice mechanic (luckily the M1009 is easy to work on andthe TM manuals are idiot proof) and I was wondering how difficult would it beto do? Is it a simple matter of bolting it on and installing a clutch or arethere other modifications I would have to make and other difficulties? Would a sm465 be easier to install? Also isthere anything I should look for in a NV4500 when purchasing it?

cliffyp

A few things to consider:

With 3.08 gears in the 1009 having an overdrive is nearly useless. An NV4500 is a lot of expense and work to get something that you only half way get a benefit from, deeper first being the benefit.

If you don't plan on changing the gears in your axles, but you want to do a manual trans, you might as well go with an SM465. It's going to be much cheaper to acquire, no more work than NV4500, deeper low end. Your 3.08 gears are already your overdrive.

If you were going to swap in 3.73 or 4.10 gears, then an NV4500 starts to make some good sense.

The Baron

Since the SM465 doesn't have the over drive would it still improve my mpg and top speed? Assuming I keep the 3.08 gearing. Also will it hook right up to the stock T-case?

Last edited:

cliffyp

Top end would be basically the same as TH400 maybe a little better because you won't have any converter slippage.

How fast are you wanting to go? The 1009 is plenty happy doing 70-75. With an overdrive at 70 you would just barely be turning 1700 rpm's, that's a little low on the power side unless you're on dead flat land. If you were going to do a lot of long drives at 75-80 mph sustained, in flat country, then maybe an overdrive makes some sense. If you have any hills or you're just talking about reasonable commutes, you are going to be downshifting out of overdrive a lot.

3.08 gears with 33" tires at 70 mph with a 1:1 trans ratio puts you right at 2200 rpm's. Thats about as good as it gets for the 6.2 and highway efficiency.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scroll down and read all the similar threads.