• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OA331 Leaks, gaskets and parts

Barrman

Now that I drove the thing at speed for 60 miles or so and then parked it over a clean spot on my floor. I walked out this morning to look at the drip patterns. I am able to see what is leaking and where.

My 25+ year old coil is leaking oil. I need another anyway. Who has them?

My valve cover gasket is leaking at just about all points, so another one of those would be good too.

My "triple failure" part is also leaking. I call the water cooled Westinghouse air compressor that because it has oil, air and water. If that thing goes I am not moving anywhere. I am getting a little oil dripping out the air intake and an air leak at the very top above the unloader valves. I figure I can make a gasket for that leak, but can't figure out how oil is dripping out of the intake.

I did a search for OA331 parts and didn't come up with anything usefull. Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i beleive the gasser has a oil bath air cleaner, my guess the oil is comming from there

Barrman

The Gasser air compressor has a horse hair or lambs wool screen at the intake. There is also a spot on the oil bath air cleaner to connect the air compressor intake too. Mine is not yet connected. So, no it is not the oil bath filter leaking. However, my oil bath engine vent on top of the valve cover was leaking until I put a hose on it and routed the hose to keep the oil off the top of the engine. I actually had oil dripping in very small amounts from the intake to the compressor.

Joe, I do not know of a source for such a kit. That is why I posted this thread. I do plan to just take the leaking part off, clean it, make a new gasket and use 3M Weather stripping to seal it up. I don't like to use RTV since it tends to clump and end up in places that could cause troubles.

JasonS

Barrman said:
Now that I drove the thing at speed for 60 miles or so and then parked it over a clean spot on my floor. I walked out this morning to look at the drip patterns. I am able to see what is leaking and where.

My 25+ year old coil is leaking oil. I need another anyway. Who has them?

My valve cover gasket is leaking at just about all points, so another one of those would be good too.

My "triple failure" part is also leaking. I call the water cooled Westinghouse air compressor that because it has oil, air and water. If that thing goes I am not moving anywhere. I am getting a little oil dripping out the air intake and an air leak at the very top above the unloader valves. I figure I can make a gasket for that leak, but can't figure out how oil is dripping out of the intake.

I did a search for OA331 parts and didn't come up with anything usefull. Thanks.
A standard ignition coil will fit in the military ignition. The stock is 1.5 ohms primary; use a replacement that has at least that.

I haven't had good luck with NOS gaskets; they are all dried out and leak. The new one from NAPA was too long. I suggest contacting Olson's Gaskets and get a good rubber/ cork gasket or a neoprene valve cover gasket. They may also be able to supply gaskets for your air compressor.

Barrman

RE: Re: OA331 Leaks, gaskets and parts

None of my local parts stores have anything 24V, so I ordered a coil and gasket from Antelope Valley since I need the stuff this week.

JasonS

The stock coil is not 24V; it is actually a 6V. In fact, when automakers moved to 12V systems, most retained the 6V coil but added a ballast resistor to keep the point current within limits. The primary resistance is all that you need to be concerned with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks