• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Odd ball Deuce

FreightTrain

Banned
Today while wondering around the field of deuces at wreckers I really got to looking at one of his trucks.Noticed several really strange things(ok,the truck is totally different than any others we have out there).One,IT has the old style headlight panels that can be flipped and have the spartin horn grill.Has some super wide block hugger fenders.Instead of dropping down to frame level right behind the side panel it goes all the way to the engine and drops straight down on both sides but with a notched out and setback area for the exhaust.Next is the bed doesn't have a cut out for the trailer hook up.The trailer plug is flush mounted to the rear of the bed.Also the tie downs have a mushroom head on the end for the top tie down.Plus it has separate stand offs that look like tail lights would mount to them(2 holes with a slot between) mounted right under the lip on the outter edge and have round reflectors on them.Found a side pipe stud between the tandams.If that wasn't enough,it had some type of a info plate on the front of the bed drivers side but there was about 100layers of paint and I couldn't make out ANYTHING.Lastly there are several colors on this truck.Strata blue(grey blue color),Plus a more Blue Blue,OD green,and light CARC green(no camo).No W&D plate or manufacturer plate available but I do have a snap shot of the DRMO/GL sticker on teh bumper.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Odd ball duece

Looks like it was an early gasser. Check the frame numbers and report back. Also check the right rear engine mount. Is it bolted or riveted to the frame. One day i'm going to get a 50s deuce cargo as a keeper. Love to have a Stude, Reo Utica Bend or Curtiss Wright

FreightTrain

Banned

If I can find some numbers.I looked but didn't see any peaking out from the 100 layers of paint.If this turns out to be an early truck,you want it?Wreck was talking crazy......something about parting out...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Might be interested in the remains. I can't afford another complete truck. Check the right framerail as well as the small area in front of the steering box reinforcing plate.

FreightTrain

Banned

heck,cheap!$2500 I "think".Runs.I think it needs some pump work though.I think that is the one that idles at about 200RPM and maxes out at 2000RPM.But that might be the truck on the other end of the line.The one I drove back from little rock got sold today to some kid(looked around 19-20....God I am getting old!).Hopefully he will be on here.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

$2500 is what I paid for 2 really nice dropside trucks. Let me know if he scraps it.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a early model gasser. Had one just like it. The SN on mine was in front of the steering arm on the frame. Check to see what kind or rears it has. Mine had Timken axles ( made before Rockwell bought them out).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if it does have timkins, look on the axle tag and see if is a srdd, sfdd, or sudd series

67Beast

Yep early gasser. The bed is just like the replacement bed I found for my truck. The guy said it was off an early gasser he had. Interesting note though, is that the mounting plates that bolt it to the frame were in a different location than on my 67'. Luckily that didn't matter because I have a dump bed. Mine had the data plate on the corner, and surface mounted trailer plug and the spots to mount the tailights under the bed corners, but was missing the brackets. I made some brackets to mount my lights up there because of the dump bed. If Wrecker wants to sell those light brackets let me know because I would be interested in buying them.

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yep, truck was born a M35 - not a M35A1 or M35A2.

plate on bed is the builder's plate for the bed - probably Budd.

Regards,
David

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
david,
the early deuces that had the timkin axles, what was the timkin series or id for them, thanks

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Ron,
For the rears three different ones were used:

Dual wheel C240FHX3
single wheel C240FHX1
M108 C240FHX4

For the front, all the same, FC240HX1

HTH,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks