• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

odd motor swap/tranny idea

sweetk30

i have a idea for a kind of odd motor/tranny swap.

i have a line on a 8v71 gm detroit with turbo kit and 13 speed road ranger with it.

my question is would this be to big for a 2.5 or 5 ton. or if it would fit would it be to much for the truck.

beaubeau

HelloSweetk30! I was thinking the same thing. I got a 6-71 with 13sp overdrive. The only problem going with Detroits is they make more noise than a Deuce and leak more oil. I was thinking of building a Deuce to go 70mph. Any buyers??!! Phil

FreightTrain

Banned
To go 70MPH you would have to change the axles out since no one makes regear kits(Hub bearing failure would be a bigy too,plus the seals)Civy tires since military tires are not rated for high speed use,better braking system since the deuce has brakes designed for 55MPH.Why in the hell would anyone want to make a MV go this fast?You want something this fast then you screwed up buying a MV in the first place.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might not even go that fast (70 mph), unless your turning the engine faster then the normal 2100 rpms, even with the OD. Those highway trucks, run much taller gearing.

Lee in Alaska

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My brother has a 8V-71 stuffed into a B61 Mack so it may work. The exhaust pipes had to run on the outside of the frame rails on the Mack and there is no room for anything else. I'd say a B61 and a 5-ton are about the same on room in the engine compartment.

joec

A 318 is alot of motor to shove in there. When we worked on the 10Ton trucks they had the 903 cummins in them and they were in pretty tight as well. We had to take engine out to change the clutch. I would try a dt466 or a 3116 cat. Or you can find a cummins 250 to put in. Put a turbo on retard the timing and get alittle more out of it. Makes a 290.

IS A 13od if so way to long I think a 10 spd should be short enough. You can check specs on Fuller's site.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
change the axles?? mine would run 74 with stock transfer and axles..........

that's a smaller engine than the cat v8 isn't it? it fit just fine. you will have to lift the body for the trans.

beaubeau

70MPH,WOW!!

:driver: I'm with U freighttrain!! If U want Fast, buy a Road Truck!! I just thought if I had a 70mph Deuce, someone would be crazy enough to buy it from me, and let him try to keep it ON THE Ground :?: I have a couple High gear rears around I could just throw in! I also have a couple axels that steer ,Front and Back. That would go good in a shortened Deuce!! :roll:

spicergear

RE: 70MPH,WOW!!

The "318" is the non turbo horsepower 8V71 Detroit. Single turbo is usually rated in the upper 360hp range. I have one of these engines in my shop right now. It's roughly 40" long but that may vary just a tad from different rear housing or front accessories. It's definately a big chunk of engine. I put an 1160 (early 3208) CAT in my truck and the 8V71 IS a larger engine physically...though smaller displacement wise by 68 cubes. Make NO mistake that the two stroke Detroit makes WAY more power than the larger cube 1160/3208 CAT. The Detroit is a much more valuable engine in the fact that it's in-chassis rebuildable, has cylinder liners, a much more durable block design, and parts are cheaper since theres about a giga-zillion engines built in the 71 series and lots of parts interchange.

I think it's a cool idea and would make a REALLY powerful and great sounding deuce truck...but there will be need of some creative engineering and most probably a couple more leaf plies-- to say the least.

The inline 6-71 and Cummins 250 are quite heavy and most importantly...LONG engines to fit. The V design of the 8V71 gives it a chance of physically fitting between the firewall and radiator. HAVE AT IT!

:)

rdixiemiller

Look for a 6V53. They fit into deuces fairly well. You move the engine ahead to get the exhaust manifuld to clear the steering column, that gives you room for a longer tranny. Richards Development did a bunch of those in years past here in Carrollton, pulled out OA331's from old Memphis trucks and made diesels out of them.

devilman96

Stock engine, stock axles, stock trans and I run 70-75 MPH all day long, my top speed is 86... I dont see the issue with doing it... nor the point in swapping all of that out to get the truck to do something it will already do.

You wanna run 70-80 bob it and change the tires, want to keep both rears, and run those speeds add propane.

rwelker

OK, I'' be different. Why not a 7.3 powerstroke? Small, light, and with a mild chip good power. Hook it to a 6 speed .70 overdrive from one of the new "big pickups" or even a modified E4OD (.69 OD) and you would have speed, power, and the ability to get parts at any Ford dealership. Pull the entire engine/wiring harness from a donor truck and it should not be too difficult. With the price of diesel, these engines have dropped in price on the used market.

BEASTMASTER

go for it , someone will buy it.but when they wreck in it or run someone over will you're concience be able to live with it???? and i'm sure that some smart lawyer will want to sue you .

ida34

I am going to put blazer axles out of my cucv in to get a better gearing for the highway. I also plan to put disk brakes on the rear axle to help with braking. I know it has been done before.

55Cameo

I agree devilman, mine does about 70mph or so on flat ground. Any uphill and it looses power. I'm sure that if I turned it up ???? who knows. Although at 70 it makes you wonder what if?

oldshep

I cant see anything wrong w/ the stock engine and trans. It starts fine in cold weather with no help, and with being bobbed w/ 46'' xmls gets more than 10mpg and goes plenty fast. A non electronic B series cummins would be my choice if the engine crapped out or at the price of diesel, maybe a 331 if i could get one...

Trango

I'd suggest that you try to tow something.... over the mountains... at 10,000 feet... and you realize that (de-rating the engine for less oxygen) when you have 110-ish horsepower on tap, trying to move 20,000 lbs.... is a fool's errand. :)

For sea level, with few sustained hills, turning up the engine a bit and keeping the stock drivetrain is going to be just fine for just about most of the collectors out there.

Just saying. I had a few moments that left me seriously hurting for power... and that's why I repowered.