• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Off-Road Camping Trailer

wilfreeman

Jeez! $58,000 AU - that's $55,000 USD! It's cool and all, but could probably get a US manufacturer to custom build one for 1/2 of that or less.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Aussies are hardcore outbacksmen. I see that selling down under. With that said, I went by the rover dealership the other day and they had a truck parked on the rocks. I need to go figure out what it was. Looked like a modern day Volvo Laplander radio truck is the best way I could describe it. Was very cool.

Edit, resembles this photoland-rover-defender-utility-van-03.jpg

Last edited:

RAYZER

Two schools of thought when it comes to camper rigs, having a camper trailer with a tow rig, or having a camper on or in the tow rig, i prefer the former, breaking camp if you have to go somewhere is a major inconvenience!

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And he managed to say the price with a smile on his face...........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I played the video in the car and couldn't hear the audio. Probably worked well as it saved me from spitting all over the steering wheel.

wilfreeman

That's why I posted it. I figured someone is going to do something to some M101/105/1101s and we all win. :)
I'm thinking an 8' box popup mounted (tongue cut and running gear removed) on an M105 box. You would have storage built in under the popup. A couple of width dimensions I found for a Coleman popup say 80" wide, so it would HAVE to be mounted on top of the box (from what I have read on m105 dimensions, they are 74" wide and 83" fender width). Does anybody have a measurement to the top of the bed? A small popup box would be about 3' tall closed up, so the overall height shouldn't be TOO bad. Build a set of steps out of wood and mount a REAL awning on the side and you're ready to go! That's my idea. The other one involves the same camper mounted sideways in the back of the bobber (would require slight camper body mods to fit - would also have a small porch with the tailgate down. Green paint would be necessary.

I'm sure someone has thought of this/ made one before, but haven't searched the camper threads for it.

Another option would be to buy an old grungy popup that needs new canvas off of CL, do an axle flip and put larger tires on it (may have to enlarge the wheel wells). Replace the canvas with tan or green, paint the body tan or green. Install a lunette (if necessary). Just some thoughts.