• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ohio MV owners

bomar76

I have seen some pics of your military vehicles and some of them have the Ohio Historical Vehicle tag displayed....Fred for one.

Why do you guys do this?

The Ohio Revised code allows historic military vehicles that are so tagged to have the registration number painted on to the front and back in lieu of the tag display-I posted the info on this on the old forum, but who knows where that went.

Here is the quote from the ORC:

"Notwithstanding section 4503.21 of the Revised Code, the owner of an historical motor vehicle that was manufactured for military purposes and that is registered under this section may display the assigned registration number of the vehicle by painting the number on the front and rear of the vehicle. The number shall be painted, in accordance with the size and style specifications established for numerals and letters shown on license plates in section 4503.22 of the Revised Code, in a color that contrasts clearly with the color of the vehicle, and shall be legible and visible at all times. Upon application for registration under this section and payment of the license fee prescribed in division (B) of this section, the owner of such an historical motor vehicle shall be issued historical vehicle license plates. The registration certificate and at least one such license plate shall be kept in the vehicle at all times the vehicle is operated on the public roads and highways in this state. If ownership of such a vehicle is transferred, the transferor shall surrender the historical vehicle license plates or transfer them to another historical motor vehicle the transferor owns, and remove or obliterate the registration numbers painted on the vehicle."

We just painted ours on the front bumper and the rear bump stops in 3" block letters - black on tan - and keep a copy of the section of the law in the glove box (for those less informed law enforcement agents) along with the Historical tag.

No unsightly tag to draw attention :wink:
No license plate light to rig up.
So why do you guys display yours?

Attachments

fredrader

I know the tags just dosen't look rite on a MV..The White kinda stands out...
I have stencils now so they won't be on there much longer..Chris (Elohim1) dosen't have have tags on his M715 but he still has them on his deuce..They are to be removed very soon though.. :D

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the military numbers on my deuce, and tags in the glove box. Did have a city cop hassle me about it, I put the historical plate on to please him. Took it off the next day. I would have fought it, but didn't have the time. I keep a copy of the law in my truck, the cop could care less. Maybe next time I will go to court about it.
Dennis

Last edited:

bomar76

ktm380 said:
How can I find out about my state (Colorado) law for plates? Sure would be nice not to have them on.
No idea what the laws are in Colorado, but one of the CO MV clubs should know.
Motor Vehicle laws vary so wildly from state to state there is no way to hazzard a guess.
The plate agencies (in Ohio it's the BMV) are normally filled with idiots that have no freaking clue about anything.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just noticed you have the same chain in the same spot as me... I had to twist mine also to keep it from dragging. Ever use it? I tell people it is my emergency brake/anchor :mrgreen:

Last edited:

bomar76

Stretch44875 said:
I just noticed you have the same chain in the same spot as me... I had to twist mine also to keep it from dragging. Ever use it? I tell people it is my emergency brake/anchor :mrgreen:

Great minds think alike !

So far have not had to unhook the big one....have told a few rubes that we break them all the time :wink:

baja_power

Stretch44875 said:
Notice the rust spots on it? those are bare metal. On the way home from Delaware one day, we hit a bump and the hook flew off and we drug the chain the 4-5 miles home.. didnt even notice until 45 minutes after we were home.. oops :eek:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks