• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OIL AND WHAT IS GO GRADE

DEL03

My question is I purchased 15 Gal of 90 wt like my placard says and changed all my fluids but now my trani is a little harder to shift so was it suppose to be sythetic or have an additive installed i have 15000 pages of literature but nothing that says go grade means what in civilian form. :blush: Please help
del03

DEL03

Just till it started coming back out the hole in the center of tranni(next to the pto)
my 67 states on the dash gl grade 90 wt that is what i was trying to go by
del03

Loose Deuce

I'm kind of confused about the GL-1 also, Where can I purchase GL-1? Do the regular lube oil distributors sell GL-1 or is that just a military item? Some oil company had to make it for the Military, Right ?

MVtrucker

GL-1 is available. It took some doing to find a supplier here in South Jersey, though. I purchase Shell from them. Try farm tractor shops. I've even read where some fellows found it at WalMart. I can't compete with their prices, but if any of you are willing to pay $30.00 for a 5-gallon pail and are going to Aberdeen, I'll take some with me for pick up there.

JohnnyReb

Joe is correct about the best source; many old tractors use GL1 in their trans.

Hey Richard, I am curious, do you have any conerns about the additives having a negative effect on the bronze in the gearbox? I would like to use a syn. oil if it won't hurt the bronze parts.

Rattlehead

After a lot of effort from myself as well as my very helpful local auto parts store, I was able to obtain some GL1. However, after installing it, the trans was very hard to shift after a long highway drive. Once it cooled, it was ok. It wasn't like that before the lube replacement.

I ended up putting in some Redline MT-90 lube. It is a synthetic gear lube made specifically for manual transmissions, with all the necessary friction modifiers to make it work with synchros. It is expensive, about $7-8 a quart, but after a 140+ mile drive a couple weeks ago, it shifted fine, no change from hot to cold. I believe it only took about 4-5 quarts, check your lube order. I didn't bother putting it in the transfer case, as how often do you shift that anyways. Plus it holds a ton more fluid ($$$). However, the transfer case is synchro'd, so I would still avoid GL5, though some will say they run it in all their gearboxes with no problems.

DEL03

I also just received my manual conversion for the replacemoent for the front sprag cant wait to do that but my plate also calls for go grade 90wt there I might try a posi additive though to thin it out a little so that I dont have the same problems as in the trani :deal: heres hoping for a textbook change over

JohnnyReb

Best of luck on the change out. I just finished reading a thread about the change out in this forum (I was looking at bidding on a sprag truck), lot of good info.

Wonder if Ironhorse would update us about the use of syn. oils: type, any particular characteristics, etc.

I have stayed with the GL1 because of the warnings about damage to bronze parts; however syn. oils have come along way since our machines were built and the original specs published. Interesting subject which could lead to better maintenance and less wear on the old gal (truck, not wife).

ironhorsethegeneral

:cool: Hi everyone. How is everyone doing today? In response to your questions regarding Synthetics, we could be going on and on about Synthetics on different things and how they work. Bottom line we use Amsoil Synthetics (we are a dealer). All of our vehicles, including truck has always run on Synthetics. We use 15w40 Diesel Marine Oil, which works good in the engine fighting against moisture since it does sit from time to time. All wheel bearings. greaseable joints use Synthetic grease. All diffs, trans and transfer case use 80w90 diff oil (reg). Amsoil also has racing type oil. Any other questions feel free to ask. W will be glad to answer. Because of this product being so good, your oil chages can be extended and as well as other serviceable items. Hope this helps. :p

DEL03

:hop: THAT IS GREAT to know we have been using the Mobile 1 Gear oil since it came out in all of our other trucks and it has been awesome

del03

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks