• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil change woes w/pics

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to change my oil and found that soldier A stripped the drainplug and instead of changing the pan, gobbed on a ton of thread tape. I'm lucky the drainplug didn't shoot out during a road trip. I had another drainplug but the pan threads were bad and stripped the second drain plug...bummer. :cry:

Thanks to Will Wagner, He fixed me up with another pan, I cleaned it up a bit and put in on. Definitely a two person job.

Here are a few pics.

Attachments

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't that just simply annoy you!. I would like to come across the Gorillia that over tightens those plugs. They just have to be snug. Its suprising too, how many Folks think that Servicing a vehicle , takes little skill. Real bad expensive things can happen when things aren't done right. You can determine a lot about how a vehicle is running, and its overall condition, at a regular service interval.

Lee in Alaska

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, that's the same pan? Looks good Mike. The inside of your engine looks clean.

jwaller

sweet. at least you got a chance to see the bottom end of your motor. wish I had the time to do that. looks very clean to me. thats a good thing.

renovate7

Your excellent pics lead me to a question. My oil dipstick is hitting some thing while it is still 6" from being all the way in. I have to push it in hard and it comes out with a bend 6" from the end. Any idea what it could be hitting?

jwaller

renovate7 said:
Your excellent pics lead me to a question. My oil dipstick is hitting some thing while it is still 6" from being all the way in. I have to push it in hard and it comes out with a bend 6" from the end. Any idea what it could be hitting?
someone may have cut the tube too short and the stick is hitting the main cap as it goes in. have you tried spinning the stick as you push it in. maybe this way it wont get stuck?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jwaller said:
renovate7 said:
someone may have cut the tube too short and the stick is hitting the main cap as it goes in. have you tried spinning the stick as you push it in. maybe this way it wont get stuck?
I know exactly what it is because I had the exact thing happen to me. There is a hole in a metal plate inside the oil pan. The dip stick has to pass thru the hole to get to the oil resevoir. I straightened my dip stick out and even bent it a tad opposite the direction it kept getting bent in. Woolahh, the dip stick now goes in easy and comes out straight.

Here is a picture of the old oil pan note the spot welded plate and the hole in it where the dip stick goes thru.

Attachments

renovate7

Thank you for the excellent replies, and picture. I tried turning the dipstick to all positions as I put it in and it didn't help. I'm going to check the tube and see if the bracket is slightly bent on way or the other causing the misalignment. The stick will go in and out with the bend if I have it at the right clock position. At least now I know what to look for.

Bigmillman

Just a note. With a little work, you can remove your drainplug nut and weld in a new one. And yes I feal that the guys that fubar drainplugs need to be reoved from society.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks