• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leak

PeeWeeQ

I was under the beast today, adjusting the floor shifter I just installed, and was reminded of the oil leak that I've had since I bought the truck in 2012. Two Superbowl Sundays ago, I was undereath it in my in-law's garage replacing the oil pan gasket--not fun.

It didn't fix the problem. It got better, but, it still drips.

I also noticed a little tranny fluid leaking from my tranny pan gasket so, I'm picking one of those up too, along with a filter tomorrow (and the relay for the Doghead mod)...

So--the question: I spent a lot of wasted time under that thing in a cold garage in the dead of winter replacing that oil pan gasket. Is it worth the money to take it to a pro and have it done right, or, do I try, try again...??? Have him replace the rear main seal while he's in there, too?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jack Lope

I just noticed a small transmission fluid leak at the pan a couple days ago. It doesn't drip on the pavement yet that I've seen, but it seems to be something I'm going to have to attend to at some point. In the mean time, I'll be checking this thread for thoughts.

PeeWeeQ

My engine oil leak hits the ground, the tranny is just seeping around the driver's side edge a bit... We'll see what happens...

Rvitko

Peeweeq check where the cooling hoses connect and the filter, could be running down from there. Jack lope check it he governor cover and the cooling lines on the passenger side.

CUCVLOVER

Do you know where the engine oil leak is?

Basically it all comes down to this: do I want to spend the time to do the job and have time and money in it or just use money I make at my job to let someone else do it and I don't have to touch it.
One thing I will say also it that it's a 30 year old engine it's got a right to seep and leak a little here and there. That's just my opinion.

NovacaineFix

PeeWeeQ, you got to weigh that decision out for yourself whether or not you want to send it out to have a "pro" do it or not.

Remember, just because a shop does it, does not fully guarantee that it is going to be done right, it may still leak afterwards, but at least in that case, you have some recourse to have them fix it where you don't if you do it.

As what CUCVLOVER stated, anything that is 30 years old is going to leak something somewhere, I just [sort of] got mine under control with the engine oil leaking, the rear main "seeps" but not dripping on the ground.
If you do your oil pan yourself, you owe it to yourself to to the rear main, since all that stuff has to come off to fix it anyway, why do it twice.
Just use good quality gaskets and sealer and clean the mating surfaces as good as you can and you should be fine.

>>>Of all my years as a mechanic, please don't do this or you will just guarantee a leak is to put gasket sealer on both sides of the oil pan gasket. If it is a cork style gasket, I use Gasket Cinch on one side and glue it to the pan, you can use rubber cement as well. If it has the little plastic studs to hold the gasket in place while you install the oil pan, then use a little cement or gasket cinch to hold the gasket in place to the block.
If you put sealer on both sides of the gasket, it will cause the gasket to slide around and most likely silde out of place, and cause your new leak. Don't over tighten the gasket, common sense, but I have seen some I swear someone used an impact gun to put the bolts on.

Good Luck man....

jpg

CUCV oil seals depend on maintaining a vacuum in the crankcase. If oil cap seals, dip stick seals, or vacuum plumbing leak, no vacuum means seals will leak. bad seals will leak even with a good vacuum. Good seals will leak if you don't have a good vacuum. There are threads on this topic. Search and read.

We had to replace oil cap and vacuum plumbing. Before we did, I went through a quart of oil every hundred miles or so. Now, with good vacuum and 33-year-old seals, it's time to change the oil before I'm down a quart.

PeeWeeQ

Thanks, everyone. THIS is why I pose the question--not so much to talk me into or out of something, but, because I knew the ideas and information would flow...

I'm so thankful for this forum...