• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil leaking from under head

docharley

LDT 1C engine

I have oil leaking from under the head on the exhaust manifold side of the engine. (Atleast as far as I can see that is where it is coming from). Is this due to a bads gasket or do I have a cracked block?

Any ideas out there?

Jake0147

Prolly is a head gasket, and if it ever stops leaking from there... Stop the truck and refill the oil.

The latest and greatest head gaskets will fix that, but the older designs all do it. Look for the fire ring vents (search for head gasket, tab, vent, among others for pictures) if you've got those little tabs of head gasket sticking out, no worries. Just an annoyance.

docharley

I think once I fixed the injectors and the engine started firing it finally gave up the ghost..Just glad to know we didn't crack the block...Thanks for the response..

Jake0147

Well now that's different... If you're down a cylinder due to a head gasket, you're leaking more than oil.... Are you talking about a constant "weeping" oil leak, or do you have a gusher at one pinpoint location? The normal leak is for large areas of the block to stay wet with oil, but no major loss. If you've got a river of oil, that's not the standard failure. If you've got a dead hole, you'll hear that running for sure. If it's due to a compression leak you'll more than likely hear the "woosh". To get a solid flunk for compression, you should be able to crank the engine with the fuel knob off (no start, just crank), and you'll hear the uneven cadence as it goes by the one cylinder with less resistance to rotation. Good cadence is not a good mechanical evaluation, but bad cadence is a dead giveaway that it's base mechanical (compression in one form or another) and not fuel (timing, rate, quality, etc).

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
time to pull the heads and see what's up. could be it's just the gaskets, that is a common problem with the older style gaskets that most trucks probably still have on them.

tom

deathrowdave

Your head gasket has left town !!!! Not too bad of a job just need a special wrench to complete . M-35 Tom can set you up with new style head gaskets !!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks