• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil pressure gauge

68impalass

anyone here ever install a military style oil pressure gauge (24v) in a cucv? Can I get the 24v from the volt meter? I have the sensor and the gauge. It will be located right next to the volt meter. thanks

OL AG '89

Doesn't HAVE to be 24v..... can get 12v from bus bar in engine bay.....
or I guess if you have a 24v gauge....... Are you sure it's 24v..... remember the CUCV is 24v for the starting system..... the accessories are all "civvy" 12volt stuff.... lights, heater blower, wipers, etc....
Is this a "24v" gauge removed from another MV or something you picked up online and was called a "military style" gauge?

jimm1009

An additional consideration for the 12 volt is that the pressure reading is lower. You won't see over 70 PSI on a 6.2 or 6.5 ltr. engine so there is no reason to have a 120 psi gage for a deuce (or similar) installed unless you just want that look.
12 volts is much easier to find in the CUCV system as stated above and the gages are probably easier to find.

jimm1009

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The OP is asking about using a 24v supplied pressure gauge from an MV. That's not confusing.

He asked if he can supply the new gauge from the 24 volt meter in the dash. That's not confusing either. Yes you can, the gauge measures 24V, therefore it is supplied with 24v!(although it is a true 12v gauge with a resistor connected to make it read correctly. Why they didn't use a true 24v gauge, who knows)

Your answers on where to get 12 or 24 volts, is TOTALLY confusing! Guys, there are several "open taps" on the fuse box, that a simple 1/4" blade terminal can be pushed into, to supply 12v accessories. There is also a24v source you could tap off off, as well.

You can get 12v or 24v under the hood if you want to run wires through the fire wall.

A look at the -20 or -34 TM will provide you with schematics of the electrical system. It's not that difficult to make sense of.

Barrman

Make sure you get the sender that goes with the gauge. The M35 used both 60 psi and 120 psi gauges. Mix up the senders and it will be way off. Otherwise, go for it. I would suggest a T at the sender so you still get the idiot light warning in case your gauge scan slows down.