• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil pressure, water temp and volts.

Now that I've got gauges, I see my oil pressure at 50 when it's cold, thirty five warm and going down the road, and 15-20 at idle. My cold weather water temp is 140, Gen one voltage is always about 2 volts higher than gen 2. Being sixteen to 14 generally. Do these seem normal?

Also, I know, at least in my tractor, to low lets humidity accumulate in the engine oil, and water ends up mixed with the oil. Just didn't know what temps were ok, what were bad.
Does that oil pressure seem alright? Is there a high flow oil pump for these?

randyscycle

no... there is a reason engines have thermostats.

If your temp is too low, you wont burn the fuel efficiently.
Another reason for maintianing a steady and proper temp is so that the lubricating oil can do its job. When an engine never gets up to full temperature, the fuel never completely burns, and can wash down the cylinder walls and dilute the oil. Gasoline engines have more of a problem with this than diesel, but its still a factor.

I'd look for 180-195F engine temp fully warmed up. Oil pressure sounds just fine.

mangus580

You might also want to check your thermostat. Its common for someone to stuff the wrong one in (a most 'cheap' parts places sell the wrong one). When the wrong one is used, the water pump will hold the stat open, and it never closes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks