• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Seal Replacement Questions

m139h2otruck

We only have two very small leaks on this truck, so a couple of questions on seals:

1) Can the rear seal on the transmision of a 5 ton be replaced without taking off the retainer plate? In the manual, it looks like you can remove the flange & slinger and remove the seal IF it will come out.

2) Is the seal for the output shaft on the old style steering box removable on a 5 ton after removing the steering arm? The parts list/picture I have looks like you can, but are there 2 seals?

Thanks for the long distance trouble shooting.

m139h2otruck

In addition to the question on the steering box shaft seal, what is the correct oil to use in the box itself? My copy of the LO says Hydro oil (10 weight engine oil) in one place and Gear oil in another. It looks like some type of gear oil is in it now but can't tell. Being an actual gear box not directly connected to the power system, I think it should be gear oil. Any thoughts?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not changed the seals you are asking about. I would like to offer the method I use for changing seals without removing retainers, plates, etc. I put sheet metal screws, as big on diameter as practical, screws placed 180 degrees opposite, into the metal of the seal face just far enough the screw has full grip on the metal. I then pull on the screws alternately or evenly in the best way I can devise for the situation, bringing the seal out with them. I have had this method work well in most cases. One place where it would not have was when I changed the front output seal on my 880 transfer case. That seal fit the tightest in the aluminum retainer of any seal I have worked with. Luckily the retainer comes off easily.
Another trick for removing a Timken outer race from a blind housing is to arc weld linear beads on it in several places. When it cools, the bearing cup will usually fall out because the shrinking of the welds has shrunk the diameter of the cup.
Regards Marti

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks