• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Spec for m51a1 Multi-Fuel Engine???

rickdavis81

Just received my filter kit for my multi fuel from BigMikes. What oil do you guys suggest? Looks like it's straight 30wt. Seems like my other diesels always seemed to prefer one kind or another. Also just regular green antifreeze?

Last edited by a moderator:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15W40 oil. The brand is up to you. I buy whatever good name brand is on sale, but, all things being equal, I like Rotella. I have used Valvoline, Delvac, Rotella, and others. Regarding antifreeze, make sure it is rated for a diesel...cavitation (little bubbles forming to erode the metal) is always a concern.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this is the older M939 old school NHC250, I run plain green. When these engines first came out in the M809 and civilian world, plain green was the only option. Much debate on another thread about the newer stuff in the NHC250 but I believe the military in the m939 used regular A/F. The 8.3L and fmtv/lmtv, I would say to use the newer formula "diesel" approved a/f according to manufacture.

YMMV

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The multi is a dry liner engine, SCA's kinda don't matter for the cavitation issue, but a low silicate antifreeze is good so you don't wipe out wp seals.