• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Temperature And Permanent Damage

SasquatchSanta

Several months ago I removed the water pump fan on my Deuce and installed a "not always on" electric fan.

The electric fan project has been a success in that it allows my deuce to quickly warm up in the winter, keeps it cool in summer, quieted cab noise and seems to have given me more power.

Even though the electric fan keeps radiator temperatures below 200 degrees, I have concerns that the reduced air flow through the engine compartment has increased engine compartment temperatures, mainly engine oil temperatures.

I have yet to install an oil temperature gauge. I've been told the best place to install the oil temp gauge sensor is at the post cooler port at the bottom of the oil filter housing --- (the port directly behind the oil cooler by-pass valve ... closest to the block). This seems logical because installation at the post-cooler port will reflect oil temperatures that the gallery is seeing.

Here is my concern:

What if the oil in the pan is getting damaged because it is a "lot" hotter than the oil coming out of the cooler? Once oil is over heated does it recover it's properties when it's cooled? Is the damage permanent?

My fear is that the oil in the pan could experience heat damage but because the oil's temperature is being taken after the cooler the problem could go undetected.

I'm considering also putting an oil temp sensor in the pan but don't went to do so if it is felt as overkill.

JDToumanian

I wouldn't worry... Seems to me high engine compartment air temperature would affect coolant temps before it affected oil temps... and would simply cause your electric fan to turn on. Unless your oil cooler is clogged, I can't imagine that you're burning up your oil if your coolant is at ~180-200.

Anyway, it's not like the deuce's engine compartment is sealed... you're getting plenty of air flow through there, and the oil pan is down low, 'in the wind', too.

My fear is that the oil in the pan could experience heat damage but because the oil's temperature is being taken after the cooler the problem could go undetected.
I would think it's most important to know that the oil fed to the engine is at the correct temperature, thus I'd be checking post-cooler. Oil in the pan that has just finished circulating through the engine will surely be much hotter, but that is nothing to worry about.

Something else that may ease your concern ... If your oil was getting heated beyond it's limits, it would literally be smoking wouldn't it? With the deuce's directly vented crankcase, the road draft or "slobber" tube would be chugging out a pretty good amount of smoke. I don't know about your deuce, but mine never emits more than a normal little wisp of vapor.

Sounds like a hand-held IR temp gun would be a toy you would enjoy and find useful...

Jon

rwelker

I would think that if you are seeing 180-200 on the water temp your oil temp is ok, as the oil is water cooled. Oil temp in proportional to water temp in the multifuel. You overheat one or the other, and the other's temp will rise accordingly. Engine oil contributes a huge amount towards engine cooling; a higher percentage than we all realize. I read an article some time ago that stated percentage of cooling by oil but can't remember figures. You could plumb in oil temp gauges I would imagine but you will probably find that if you were to measure temps the rears and transmission would probably run much hotter on long trips especially loaded. Use GOOD quality oil, not the cheapest you can find; if you are uneasy about oil quality after running awhile have it tested. That way you will know where you are. The biggest killer of oil is fuel dilution from overfueling and idleing. My .02. Rick

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the truck manufacturers add an oil temp gauge, they put the sensor in the pan. When I have a unit on the dyno and am monitoring the engine, i've noted that the OEM gauge and the engine ECM oil temps are very close, <5 degreed from each other. Cummins takes the oil temp reading in the main oil rifle, post cooler, on the L10, M11, ISX and Q series. The N14 took it at the lube pump outlet...it has an external lube pump similar to the NHC in the 5 tons. Cummins doesn't put oil temp sensors on the smaller engines, B, C and L series. Don't know why, maybe these smaller engines don't make enough heat to warrant a high oil temp fault? The typical temps we are seeing are around 259 degrees on the big HP stuff and on the M11 the temps hang around 250. Oil temp faults start logging at 262. I am seeing no high oil temp faults even on the '07 EGR/DPF units. N14 engines were notorius for the dreaded 214 fault due to the sensor installed it the pump. When the oil gets too hot, you can smell it. Smells kind of like burning buttered popcorn in the micro.
So, I think if you added an O/T sensor in the pan, you'd have a good accurate temp. Since the multi isn't a big horse, CID or HP, I think the temps you'd see should be around 220 when you are working the snot out of it. As stated below, use a good oil, not the WalMart stuff.

SasquatchSanta

Thanks all for the insight.

There is an outstanding talent pool on this site.

WillWagner Wrote:

N14 engines were notorius for the dreaded 214 fault....
Does 214 have to do with a computer code or is it somehow connected to temperature?

Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks