• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oiling the Horn?

dabtl

On the second deuce the air horn developed a high squeal. The more it was honked the less the squeal. But, since I do not want to ride around honking the horn all the time to make it work I oiled it.

I removed the air line and shot Remington gun oil into the air line and reconnected it. Fired the deuce up, let the air accumulate and the horn began working as normal again.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And don't forget, the M38A1 has a horn dipstick...

Sorry Derek, I just had to say it! :p

btw, Did you get that fixed? please update your thread. We do care and want to learn from your experience.

Capt.Marion

On the second deuce the air horn developed a high squeal. The more it was honked the less the squeal. But, since I do not want to ride around honking the horn all the time to make it work I oiled it.

I removed the air line and shot Remington gun oil into the air line and reconnected it. Fired the deuce up, let the air accumulate and the horn began working as normal again.
Sounds like your solenoid may be sticking and not opening fully. Air horns squealing (instead of sounding properly) is generally a sign of too low air flow (CFM). The gun oil would likely have lubed up the moving parts in the solenoid, resolving this problem.

Last edited:

dabtl

Air Tanks that have not be bled can also be a factor.... But any DIPSTICK knows that, don't they?

rofl

But, of course. That is what gave me the idea. I figure even if you drain the air tanks every time it is used they all make water. Some must go through the air horn after 40 years. Hence rust or crud accumulation in the moving parts.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A new market for the folks at Remington, Horn Oil! I love it!
Didn't you know it is already out. They stock it on the shelves next to the blinker fluid.
Actually, you can find "Horn Oil" at any Walmart or other store that sells "personal care" items such as shaving supplies and feminine hygiene stuff - - - They market it as K-Y Jelly ! ! !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks