• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK M813 owners need your expertise !!

R Racing

I'm the new owner of a M813 :mrgreen: , I have been looking for some time ! Its in Indy and I'm in MD I have a few weeks still for my EUC to go thru , And I want to get things ready for the recovery a head of time. The unit I purchased says the battery cable is cut. But after looking at picture #5 it looks to me like the cable pulled out of the lug on the starter . Not looking up close at the starter of the M813 before I'm not positive ? here's a link 2320 - Trucks & Truck Tractors, Wheeled at Government Liquidation is there anyone out Indy way that has seen this truck in person ?

Thanks for your help !!

Jim

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL links go dead shortly after the auction ends. It's better to take a "screen shot" and or save the pictures and post then directly on this site.

91W350

That is the way it looked to me too. I am betting it was not properly crimped and the cable pulled out of the connector. Their photo was not the best angle, but that is the way I took it. I wondered if the starter system malfunctioned and somebody jerked the cable to keep the starter from grinding, but properly crimped, it would take a very strong individual to pull the end off of a starter cable that size. I think you got a lot of truck for the money, wish it was not 615 miles away, the idea of buying a 25,000 pound paper weight that far from home is a little spooky. I was surprised the M814s brought closer to 4000 with no winches. Glen

Attachments

R Racing

Thanks Glen ! I was wondering that as well and may pick up a spare starter. But I believe the lug looks like possibly the cable came out of it since I dont see any frays hanging out the end of the lug itself . With them only having weds pickup I don't have much of a chance to go back if I don't get it fired up the first time. I have a place to stop at in ohio on the way home. This could be a great deal or a great cost, LOL. and yes the M814s suprised me too !!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this does not help you but THAT is one fine looking truck and if its just the cable that is the problem you will have made a very wise purchase, I think I have a bad case of 5 ton ENVY, I drive a Deuce!! Good luck with the recovery I am betting all will be good!!
KK

91W350

There should be about six very happy buyer at Indy yesterday, all of those trucks looked nice. I am with you Karl, I have been wanting one bad..... and I hope it all goes great! :beer: I would be inclined to tape that end up, jack up each axle and spin the wheels to listen for bad bearings, check the fluids, pull start the truck, check the brakes and head her home. We do not have a smilie big enough for that one.... Glen

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check your front bearings!!! I am glad I checked mine on my 814 before starting the 715 mile trip home. Also plan on greasing all 32-34 grease points- mine were dry also

R Racing

Hi Glen !! Your not lying !! I'm still in disbelief ! I bid on the twin of it in VA but it was in running condition a few weeks back and I couldnt believe the difference in price ! If I was a real Hoe I would have bought 2 lol . All kidding aside I'm excited about it. I'm going to make a billet lug with set screws to slide over the end of the cable, and tighten the set screws to get me home. I'm going to do a search on batteries and maybe bring a set just to be on the safe side. I'll bring a jack. and a greese gun.and a ton of tools. I can't tell you how long I have been wanting 1 ! :mrgreen: :-D

Thanks John ! last thing I want is to be broke down on either 68 or the DC Beltway. I have done both and its no fun ! So you got room on the back of that M814 for a Jacuzzi ?? LOL

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
for battteries, get two 8Ns 12v blems, thay fit in the boxs and a lot cheaper then military ones

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trust me- I did not breathe real well until we were south of DC. Funny, the closer to home I got, the better I felt about the 814. It felt really really great when I shut it off in front of my house

R Racing

Well if your in this neck of the woods again and need anything don't hesitate to ask. I was traveling from Ohio home 2 months ago pulling a 35 ft gooseneck and a skid steer and lost both head gaskets on a f350 6.0 and took me 14 + hrs and 37 gallons of antifreeze to get home. not a fun trip espically on the side of the beltway at 2 am trying to dodge cars so i could fill the radiator up lol. I think I need my head examined ! :cookoo:LOL

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Truck looks good,If I can help you with anything let me know.You will love your 5 ton ,I ve had a lot of 5 tons and they are my favorite.

R Racing

Thanks jcappeljr ! Same here ! if you need anything machined up let me know. Hows the M916 dump comming ?? You got my attension with that project. I need a dump someday. LOL.