• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Family Military Radio Hams in Puget Sound Area

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm fairly new to SS and I was wondering if there are any Hams in the Puget Sound area (Washington State) who are knowledgeable or interested in the Old Family green radios?

I have a mixed bunch of radio gear that I would like to put together into the GRC-3, -5 & -7 family for my M-42 and trade, sell or give away the stuff I don't need. Problem is that while I am a general class Ham, I am not very experienced (as in totally ignorant) regarding military radios.

So far every contact I've tried to make is on the east coast or at least east of the Mississippi, which makes getting together a bit more difficult.

If there is anybody closer to Puget Sound who is willing to talk or meet, please PM me.

Thanks!

Storm 51

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you looked in the boatanchor archives, or the Yahoo and delphi forums for the army radio groups? This site is more focused on the vehicles, the other sites are more focused on the radios. You might get a better match (answer) on them. There are those of us who are on all of the forums, but the ones you really need might not be here.2cents

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, Mike, I haven't. I didn't even know they existed. What is Delphi? Can I get to the boat anchor archives just by goggling them?

Thanks for the pointers!

Storm 51

deuceaid

Banned
There is a guy down here near salton sea that seems to be green radio only, he always does a nice display at the bigger hamfests down here,,, last month I talked with his wife, and got his card, I will have to look for it if You want more info......... Good luck.Jason

Psywarrior

There is a guy down here near salton sea that seems to be green radio only, he always does a nice display at the bigger hamfests down here,,, last month I talked with his wife, and got his card, I will have to look for it if You want more info......... Good luck.Jason
Dang dude. I drive by your place a couple of times a week. I usually stop off at Brawley for the weekend at the SIL's house and then deliver Monday AM in Fontana. From there, it is back across 10 to Alabama. Once I get my wheels, we should hook up some time.

deuceaid

Banned
Last edited:

Amer-team

Keep us posted on your radio needs. I have stuff and you never know, may have a piece you need to complete some radio setup. I have acquired pieces to include in vehicles for display.

wsucougarx

I've got green radios and a HAM license but have yet to use it:-(. Got my license 1.5 years ago and got my green radios installed in my trucks. Haven't gotten on to check the air....I need to...LOL

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got green radios and a HAM license but have yet to use it:-(. Got my license 1.5 years ago and got my green radios installed in my trucks. Haven't gotten on to check the air....I need to...LOL
That sort of sounds like me. I've had my General ticket for a couple of years and have never used it. I got it to play with the green radios (Old Family Radios - tactical) that I acquired about 30 years ago (wow, has it been that long ago?! :shock:) and I am just now starting to gather them up and scratch my head going hummmmmmm.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep us posted on your radio needs. I have stuff and you never know, may have a piece you need to complete some radio setup. I have acquired pieces to include in vehicles for display.
I can send you a list of what I have and pictures if you want. I've also got a list of what I think I need. I got a list of manuals too, if that is of any interest to you.

PM me with an email if you want to see the lists and / or photos.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can find that card I'd be very interested in contacting him. I need all the help I can get!

Thanks, Jason!

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me Know what you want as far as information and equipment you want to part with. I may know someone.[thumbzup]
I will gladly send you the lists of what I have and what I need. The problem I have right now is that I don't really know yet what is "surplus" to what I'm trying to put together. I think I have a bunch of extra headsets, speakers, mounts, and control boxes. I need a couple of R/T's, R's and power supplies and different control boxes. I know I need a lot of different cables and a couple of different mounts.

PM me with an email address and I'll send the "need" list and the "stuff I have list".
I've got some photos too if you want.

Storm 51