• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

old guy with new toy

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just about have time alloted to work on my 1009. it was a running truck before it sat for a couple years. so i plan on doing some slow clean up and then a start up. i am thinking on draining all the fuel and change out filters before trying to start. new batteries a must but ill clean some rust issues up from under battery area. what im asking from you fine cucv guys is some insight as to any thing special i need to do , look at or just remember not to do. most will be real common sense things as i have worked on many MVs but never a blazer and im not really a chevy person anyway. a few freinds told me about how that pontiac engine is not a good one to start with and your feelings on that is also welcome. thanks in advance for any help. and yes ill take some pics and yes twice ill read some tms ...

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Never had one tim so not much help here. I think if it's been sitting a couple of years you are wise to drain fuel etc and replace filters before firing it up. Two of our group members have CUCV's as daily drivers...one pickup and one blazer type. Haven't really heard them say anything out of the ordinary about things to do or not to do.
Pontiac engine? Heck..i thought it was a 6.2L diesel chevy engine.
Good luck with the project Tim...looks like a nice truck.:-D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a poncho at all! Designed from the ground up for Chevrolet with much help from DDA. Good engine, not a powerhouse but was never designed to be one. I like em!

Westech

CPL
General Motors introduced a line of Diesel V8 engines for their C/K pickup trucks in 1982. This engine family, designed by GM division Detroit Diesel, was produced by GM through 2000, when it was replaced by the new Duramax line. AM General's subsidiary General Engine Products (GEP) still produces a military variant of this engine for the HMMWV

I still don't know why people think all Gm diesels are the junker 350 diesel. 6.2 vrs 5.7 ltrs That tells me its not the same.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ok so this is not the same engine as in the 82 type chevy trucks. i was wondering if i was going wrong in fixing this one up. the 20 mpg is what lead me to want one but i remember the good use wife an I got out of a bronco . love all the storage in the rear. TIm

2mtrucks

The 6.2 was a diesel design from its inception. The 5.7 GM diesel was used from 1978 to ( I believe) 1983 and it was Oldsmobile gas 350 modified to be a diesel. It was a disaster and badly tarnished the diesel engines name for many years with the American public.

2deuce

I bought a m1009 from a state university. It was sitting 4 years at their dairy near their sileage pits. Mice had nests everywhere at least 8 in the engine compartment alone. You couldn't open the doors or hood without a cloud of wasps. The right up on it was its a piece of junk scrap value only. The starter was out of it so I thought that was why it didn't run no matter the mechanics write up. The thing that concerned me the most was the 4 empty cans of starting fluid in the truck. I put in a new starter and changed the oil and filter, fuel filter too and good batterys. I also put in new glow plugs and she started right up. The throttle linkage was stuck and she wouldn't idle very good. I wouldn't drain the fuel its probably ok unless you think its dirty. After the mouse nests blew out of the tailpipe she ran even better alot of nut shells blew out of one side. Its been about 2 years now and that mouse smell is still there, inside and under the hood. But she runs good. My recommendation is not to open your vent either side at 60mph unless your positive there is no mouse nest behind it. Been there done that.

Greg