• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old long Deuce Airpack and long 5-ton airpack

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been told the old long deuce air pack and the 5-ton air pack on the M39 are interchangeable, or better, you supposedly can use the long deuce air pack on the 5-ton.

From the 2014 GA Rally, I brought home a Deuce air pack, since I have problems with my brake system, including loosing dot 5 fluid during prolonged standing without visible leaks.

Brake-MC-Airpack-05cr_resize.jpg IMG_0578cr_resize.jpg IMG_0577c_resize.jpg

Left the 5-ton, 2x right the long Deuce AP Looking at the two next to each other (more or less), they are definitely different, and the 5-ton is bigger. Does the 5-ton version provide more fluid/power to the brakes?

If the Deuce provides less, I certainly will not change them. Also, I am thinking of opening both and check; I have to redo the current system and I do not really trust an air pack laying around in a damp area for three years.

If both are ok, I was thinking to use them together as two APs in a dual brake circuit. That is enough planning and puzzling already, two unequal air-packs might complicate things and not be a good idea.

Last edited:

Rmtaunton

Short and long air packs are defiantly interchangeable on a deuce , ferro let me borrow his ( thanks again) at the GA ralley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
He is talking about using deuce parts on a 5ton. It doesn't really have anything to do with deuce parts being interchangeable

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the 2014 GA Rally buy/sell thread

Robo,

I have an air pack off a M5x 5-ton (68' multifuel tractor truck), not sure if it was an A1 or A2, I can say it had the 'newer' style steering system on it (like the M939 trucks). The brakes did work on it, so I assume the air pack was functioning.

$50 delivered to GA sound good?
My memory on this is a bit hazy, but CBR Metalworks was supposed to bring a 5-ton Air Pack to the rally. In the end, the only thing he had with him was the Deuce one. I knew from the beginning that it was a Deuce AP, but he or somebody else told me that the long Deuce and the 5-ton were interchangeable. So I took it anyway.

I see that he is banned from the site now.

Is there a way to check an air pack if the seals between hydraulic and air sections are leaking (that is, oil in air section) without removing and opening the entire air pack? I lost about 15 ounces in the time the truck was standing still outside. It has been mostly standing still for 5 years anyway, so better get the whole thing out.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Honestly, I wouldn't chance it. You could figure out the volume each unit pushes by measuring the bores on each one, but Id bet there is a reason the 5ton is different than the deuce.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have got a used Deuce air pack to sell at the next GA Rally rofl
Nice way to balance my suitcase for the things I want to take back. :beer:

Managed to take off the air pack today, tomorrow will start take it apart. Should have done it five years ago in the Netherlands, but was too busy and did not know enough about these trucks to tackle it. Now I still don't know enough, but just tackle those problem when they arise.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks