• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Olive drab Window Tint?

Milkman357

I want to tint the windows in my M-1009 but I dont really want normal Tint. Does anybody make a Olive drab window tint? Or another post mentioned "Bus Type" wrap?

I'd appreciate all hints...

I have even mulled the idea of taping on Storm door screen material and spray painting the windows. Removal of screen should allow some light / viewing.

Midnight Rider

I'm thinking you can get window tint in various colors, not sure about olive drab, but possibly a shade of green.

That's what I was thinking about doing.

There's a site called TrickTape.com, I think, and they sell this stuff you can put on lights or windows. It's not really tint, more like a mesh material. I was thinking of doing that. I had some of there black material on my motorcycle once. I don't have pics of that though.

Buckmaw

You can contact a local company that does whole car wraps and see if they can make a perforated vinyl decal that would go over the window. It has little holes in it so you can see out.

Im sure they could make one OD with no gloss finish...

Attachments

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a great idea for my M1009, I'd be interested in what you find.

Midnight Rider

You can contact a local company that does whole car wraps and see if they can make a perforated vinyl decal that would go over the window. It has little holes in it so you can see out.

Im sure they could make one OD with no gloss finish...
That is kind of what the Trick Tape stuff was. I just found out that they went out of business though.

Milkman357

Tenebraex

Very neat idea. $$$$ would be a limiting factor.

I have the same type system on my Remington 700 scope. Very simple, very affective!

The "Bus Wrap" idea is growing on me every day.....

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to a local sign making company. They NEED to have the ability to make plastic type sign covers.

Explain you want the same thing they wrap whole cars in.

My sign maker said it would cost about $350 - $400 to do both sides. I did not ask about the rear, though I'm sure it's doable. The question then is how well would it hold up to the window being rolled up and down.

Hope that helps.

Milkman357

$350 for 2 windows?

EEK I can't do that, although it would look cool.

About the painting glass using screen material.... I thought if a person painted the inside of the glass the paint would hold up better. I know on the back window the inner seal for the window doesn't squeegee the window, more like wipe. SO wear would be less. I have some scrap plexiglass I'll try first....then post a picture.

At some point if I wanted to remove paint from a window it's just a matter of Razor Blade scraping, right?

3dubs

Some states only allow black or grey tinting, colors may not be allowed. A wrap company could match your camo and not just OD. After I paint my truck I plan to get some. Not only will they look cool, they will keep the truck cooler in the sun.

Milkman357

Window screen doesn't work

I tried the window screen...
The problem is the window screening doesn't lie flat. Areas raise up, allowing paint to cover surface. If you could get the screening to stay in contact with glass it might work.

More research is needed. Something like saran wrap, or masking tape would stay on glass, but how can you get holes in material to allow paint thru?

"Bus type" window covering would be the bast option. I might consider it if I could get two rear-side windows + roll up rear window done for $150.... But it sounds really expensive.

Milkman357

Last edited:

6x6guy

Don't forget to check with state and local laws regarding tinted windows be for you spend your $$$, or it might cost you a lot more than you want. :roll:

Midnight Rider

In IL, you can't tint the front driver side or passenger side windows. Also nothing over 6 inches from the top of the front window.

You can tint the rear and the back driver and passenger side windows.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks