• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

? on odometer and hour meter readings

Nonotagain

Having previewed a few trucks at some GL locations, I have to ask this question as I have not seen it asked or answered before.

Do the contractors that refurb trucks for the Military start the Odometers and hour meters at zero when a truck goes to overhaul? If so are all of the running gear parts replaced (i.e. engine, transmission, axle assemblies, transfer case , suspension parts and so on)?

Is there anyway to determine the true actual mileage of the truck and the number of times that a truck has gone to overhaul?

I rebuild older performance cars, yet I can't touch an odometer without running afoul of the law.

If you know or can shead any light on the refurb process please speak up.

Thanks in advance.

dm22630

If a speedometer broke while in service it was replaced with the closest working one....weather that one was new or used.

There is ABSOLUTELY no way to tell the actual miles/hours on a military vehicle.

Anyone that advertises "4000 original miles" is a snake oil salesman.

2cents

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If the truck goes through a frame up rebuild, they tend to get all new parts.

Also, odometers break and get replaced. Are the mechanics suppose to mark the mileage on the vehicle and in the records of the mileage at replacement? Yes. Do they, rarely. Keep in mind, nobody is looking at the sale of these trucks to civilians when they do this and could frankly care less.

Do the hours get reset when an engine is replaced? More commonly, yes but not always. Do the hours meters break and not get marked? Yes. Does the mechanic care? No.

Actual mileage report, unlikely.

The law, how will you prove it?

There are different levels of rebuild and overhaul. It all depends. Some are total recapitalization programs that literally undo every bolt and screw. Others maybe more specific to certain areas such as all trucks will over X mileage are to be pulled from the fleet for drivetrain rebuild.

If a meter has radioactive gauges in it, it is pulled by the unit before the truck can be turned into DRMO. No info is usually provided to fill in the information void.

So, the bottom line is, you can never be sure with trucks of this age. Record keeping for vehicles in use today is probably only slightly better than those of years ago.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are lucky enough to get your trucks service records, you'll most likely never know the true mileage/hours on it.. Seems the USAF is pretty good about putting the service records with the trucks when they go to DRMO, but if they actually stay with it the truck all the way thru the DRMO/GL process is another story... The Army, forget about it.. You MAY find a 2404 or 5988-E in the cab, but thats just one form in what should be a big pile of them. Army record keeping is just about 100% computer based. USAF is also computer based, but they make sure they keep a printed copy of whatever the form is that goes in a folder that stays with the truck.

I was really lucky, I got the complete paperwork packet with my truck, everything from the build order for the AMG assembly line to the Email saying it had met it's 18 year service life and was to be sent to DRMO. It's about 2 inches thick.

And no, you cant ask the Army to look up your trucks service records..

Last edited: