• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Onboard WMO filtration

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So i have been doing some thinking about building some kind of setup to go under the passanger seat in my M35A2 to filter WMO and dump it straight into the tank. here is my thoughts. get a 1/4hp 24VDC motor and belt that to a power steering pump. i would get the power steering pump from the junkyard, one that was used with a remote resivor so i can hook hoses to the inlet and outlet. Then as far as the pumping, i could just dip a hose in any tank of WMO and have it go right in the tank (via that plug ontop of the fuel tank. So to map out the path of the WMO, here is what i was thinking.... from the hose, to suction filter (25 micron, 30gpm), to the pump, to another filter (40gpm 10 micron), out a hole in the floor of the cab and into the tank. in the loop somewhere ill install some pressure gauges so i can keep an eye on my filters to make sure they dont clog and the reason for the large GPM filters is to increase filter life. my only concern is finding out the rating for the pump and if the 1/4 hp motor will have enough power to pump it. i think the smallest pulley i can get for the 1/4hp motor is a 2". so when i look around in the junkyard, i'll have to try to find one with the biggest pulley i can find. does anybody have any input on this? it seems like it would work just fine as long as i can get the pump to work right with the 1/4hp motor. i dont see why it wouldnt work.

also, would i have to worry a lot about getting water in it? i would never suck from the bottom of any tank either...so i would think all the water would go to the bottom anyway.

Albin

I see that Surplus Center has a 24 vdc 1/4 hp motor for $40; a decent GM-syle power steering pump should cost about the same. So, you're ahead $$$ instead of a dedicated integrated electrical fuel pump (~$140 cheapest I could find and it was 12 vdc, not 24 vdc.

Smallest pulley will depend on the motor shaft size, check Surplus Center (or McMaster-Carr) and go from there.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=10-2518&catname=electric

Good luck.

Al

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks