• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

One on its way back....

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
One of the most comprehensive restorations I've done, and the subject of the very first article I had published in a magazine, was the restoration of this Studebaker M45 with LeRoi 210G1 compressor.

With the help of my dad and son, I restored the truck as close to possible to factory condition back in 1997. The top photo was taken when it was finished.

The truck was painted with Aervoe - and faded. In 2002 I repainted the truck with Gillespie. In 2003 I had some life changes, and my trucks went on the back burner (and on the back lot).

Earlier this year I decided to retrieve and revive the truck - but it sure went downhill fast. It was much worse than can be seen in the second photo - in fact, far worse than when I started on it in 97.

Well, as can be seen in the bottom photo, it is nearing "completion" again - this time to motorpool type standards (far too difficult to go back to factory-class standards). Details of all this will appear in Military Vehicles Magazine.

Hope ya'll don't have to go through as extensive of a redo as I did.

Regards,
David Doyle

Attachments

JDToumanian

Wow, looking good again!

So the middle pic is what 10-year old Gillespie looks like? I wonder to what extent that oxidation could be 'buffed out', or have been prevented with some car wax? I know waxing an army truck seems lame, but any shine the wax may produce would be gone after a few days worth of dust settling on the paint (It's dusty around here, anyway), and the UV and weather protection that wax provides could make the paint last years longer.

I don't want to repaint my truck again for as long as possible.

Jon

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Jon,
No, the middle pic is FIVE year old Gillespie - I repainted the truck in 2002, replacing the Aervoe with Gillespie. I used a different paint this time - more info on that later after I do a bit of testing.

DD

m139h2otruck

When we had the water truck painted, my son insisted that we use a hardener in the paint to hopefully prevent fading or at least extend the paint life. We used Aervoe 24087 and put on almost 8 gallons plus hardener and thinner with a sealer coat under the finish. Hope it lasts, as this thing is too big to redo every 3-4 years!

Elwenil

Are the rearmost rims and tires a different size than the middle axles? I know it's probably just an illusion of the angle but it seems a bit odd looking even taking that into consideration.

dmetalmiki

WHATS THAT hiding behind there..(its ) A fire unit truck. M45. please post OR send me pics from all angles as I also have an M45. (rare as rocking horse p.. over here!)..looks realy nice tho..

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Lanty,
Just an illusion, all tires are 9.00-20.

dmetalmik - yes that is my class 530C on M45A2 chassis - its next up on the rehab list. It was about 95% restored when project was stopped. Just need to reinstall reels, replace hose decking and the Waterous Pump packing. Have much documentation on these trucks (and, not too long ago an article I did on these appeared in Classic Military Vehicles). Drop me an email and I can send you some pix.

Regards,
David

dmetalmiki

sure and thanks..I do have every and all the books/manuals for that unit. reels hoses some kit. I havent yet fired the turrett or run the fire fighting stuff...should try it I guess. (especially as our local doctors sugury burnt down and the fire service arived too late to to prevent loss total loss!) due to delay at another fire. my emai dmetalmiki@aol.com and thanks. p.s. do both reels have motor wind? only one of mine (o/s) has a motor. if it should have two(both reels) do yo know of a motor or avaiabillity?.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
that is the problem with enamel. i use utech 200, it is an automotive finish with a lot of flatener added to kill the gloss. adding hardener also adds gloss...

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
This time I've tried something different on the paint on the compressor. The 530C or pipeline will be getting yet another finishing technique - then I'll see how they do.

Yes, both reels should have motors. Will start a new thread later this evening on it.

DD

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow David those trucks look ready to go back to work in an enhancement Brigade, the Army's latest term for the Modular brigade that has engineers, signal units, military intelligence, and other service support and combat support units in it.