• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Opinions needed on Off-road driving capabilities...

Towman2277

O.k. fellas of the higher "Intellectual" powers, got a technical opinionated question for you. All I do with my 5-Ton M-328 (thats the bridge truck) is go off-roading in the swamps around where I live. Out of two choices, what set-up do you believe to be best for off-roading, epecially in mud and muck? 1) Stock rear set-up (duals) ..... or 2) Singled out rear tires.
Some would say the duals or better, some would swear by super-singles, so I need everyone's opinion on in's/out's, etc! :lol:

Attachments

Jones

Mud is a scarce commodity out here but we do have lots of acreage in rice. All rice field rigs have singles and the thinking is that in muck, the less sidewall friction you have the better off you are for keeping wheels rolling. Also, with duals, you've got another set of rear wheels trying to break trail and that means more power requirements where as rear singles will follow in the front's tracks. Momentum and speed are something you have to learn by feel and will vary by vehicle. The guy's who figure the faster I go, the better chance I'll have of getting through, often just find themselves stuck further out in the swamp.

M1075

Singles are the best offroad. The Army now runs singles on all (virtually) tactical vehicles. Tire design matters too. If you are still running NDCC, ditch those and get some Michelins XL or XZL.

Towman2277

Thats about what I was thinking. On sand and such, the duals do better for more "flotation" as the load is distributed to more surface area, and in this case more tires, but in mud singles would do better for less to go through the mud, hence less power needed, and less side-wall friction. Thanks for your input, and anyone else with opinions, please, lets hear them!

rizzo

Re: RE: Opinions needed on Off-road driving capabilities...

Towman2277 said:
Thats about what I was thinking. On sand and such, the duals do better for more "flotation" as the load is distributed to more surface area, and in this case more tires, but in mud singles would do better for less to go through the mud, hence less power needed, and less side-wall friction. Thanks for your input, and anyone else with opinions, please, lets hear them!
I have seen where an empty deuce will float in the back,but get pigged out in the front, cause the skinny front tires don' t float. The super singles that I am going to put on the deuce are almost twice as wide as the stock tires. so that means a lot more floatation in the front.

I have pictures of Mich XL's at various stages in a mud pit with water and the treads are clean. I'm very happy with the XL's off road so far.

Towman2277

RE: Re: RE: Opinions needed on Off-road driving capabilities

Hey rizzo, I plan on putting super singled out Michelin XL 14's om my truck. That will give me the best of both worlds, and not break my piggy bank too bad!

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: Opinions needed on Off-road driving capabili

Towman2277 said:
Hey rizzo, I plan on putting super singled out Michelin XL 14's om my truck. That will give me the best of both worlds, and not break my piggy bank too bad!
I have 1600 XL's and like them alot

Towman2277

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Opinions needed on Off-road driving capa

Is your truck a 5-ton, and is the suspension stock?? I thought about putting the 16:00's, but wasn't sure about the rear spacing between the two axles....I do have the bridge truck though....