• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Over Reving 6.2 CUCV's

rcb

Greetings !!
Anyone have this happen to 6.2 diesels... after sitting for some months
and then starting they over rev until you keep slapping the gas pedal
to knock down to idle ?? This has happened several times to me on at
least (2) different CUCV's. Anyone know why and how do you stop it from
occuring again ??
Thanks...
Bob

maybefixit

This sounds like a fault in the injector pump. The pump carries an idle and top speed governor system. If the governor sticks, the pump can go to full flow, and the engine will spin as fast as it can.

There is a recommendation for starting a Deuce to have a 2x4 handy at the passenger side air inlet, so if the engine starts to 'run away' you can put the 2x4 over the inlet and air-starve the engine to shut it down. I think this is in the Deuce forums on this site.

I don't know enough about the CUCV pump to give you specific details, but I'd start the research there.

woodywood

Private
check your fuel system if a diesel isnt getting enough fuel meaning air in the line it will run faster than normal till it gets enough fuel to the pump i had the same trouble with my 88 ford idi. you can make a deal with a old fuel cap and put about 5 pounds of regulated air pressure and look for leaks. could be a rubber line cracked or broken or it has a fuel tank selector valve that could also give you problems

Chevytruck

do the throttle cables stick?

sounds to me that the cable might be sticking somewhere and when you slam down on the pedal it releases them from their stuck position?

rcb

no throttle sticking... checked that !! It sounds like it's full throttle when it starts !!
I wonder why no one else ever had this issue since I've experienced this on 2 different
CUCV's.
Bob.

dependable

No doubt you are aware that it runs at high idle, with advanced timing, as part of its warm up function. If it does not kick down after a couple minuts, the warm up solinoid may be stuck. It is on top of injector pump. I usually let my trucks kick down before I take them on the road. I think it saves the piston rings a bit.