• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overhead shelf from LMC

richingalveston

just wondering if anyone has purchased and installed the overhead shelf from LMC. This unit screws into the sunvisor spots and then you put your sun visors on the bottom side of the shelf. I am not planning on a center console and have been considering this. just checking for others feedback first.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I haven't bought the LMC unit, I had one in my late '70s pickup and loved it.

richingalveston

Thanks warthog, I am currious of the LMC quality, some of their items that is an issue. I plan to use it for my cb and scanner plus some extra storage. wondering how much weight it can hold

jdknech

i have one in my 95' chevy truck, i have a CB, scanner, 2X 2-way's, and a switch box.. all with a rifle rack (with rifle) mounted to the bottom of it.. i havent had any problems with it..

cpf240

i have one in my 95' chevy truck, i have a CB, scanner, 2X 2-way's, and a switch box.. all with a rifle rack (with rifle) mounted to the bottom of it.. i havent had any problems with it..
That I'd like to see! Doesn't the rifle get in the way? Block your view? I've been considering one of these shelfs from LMC for a while now, but have had reservations. Pictures would be much appreciated!

richingalveston

yes, little pricey but I think one would be worth it in order to keep all the crap from being mounted under the dash, thanks jdknech. thats what I was looking for, sounds like it will hold all that I need.

jdknech

That I'd like to see! Doesn't the rifle get in the way? Block your view? I've been considering one of these shelfs from LMC for a while now, but have had reservations. Pictures would be much appreciated!
i'll try to get some pics of the setup here soon for ya, the truck lives at the farm now, so i only see it every few days.. and yes, it does hang alittle in the way, but i wanted to have it within reach when i need it.. (when i go to town a put it behind the seat)

richingalveston

did a price check, the LMC shelf listed at $79.95 plus shipping, the jc whitney was $111.00 with free shipping so i guess it depends on where you are. With shipping the LMC unit was right at $100. I ordered one from LMC.

K9Vic

I had one in a 99 Super Duty and it was great as I had my scanners and CB radio up there. Since my Super Duty was a manual I did not have floor space for anything, so it was perfect and worked well. I thought about putting one in my 90 Suburban, but have not done so yet. I found a used one for $50 locally, but it is tan and waiting on some extra cash and other items to buy from LMC to say on shipping.

i have one in my M1009... i pulled it out of a wrecked 80's chevy conversion van... paid like $10.00 the length was correct, but had to modfiy the mounts for it to fit... i think theres pics of it in my build thread... if not.. i can snap some... I have my CB mounted to it... Planning on a redesign... and moving Stereo to it and adding scanner... and some overhead map lighting...maybe a few switches...lol

JDKNECH- I'd love to see how gunrack is mounted as well...

hodgeb

1ton - I just looked through your build thread (your build is awesome, btw) and didn't find any pictures of the overhead shelf. I don't like the look of the plastic shelves, they seem... chintzy and weak. Is the one you pulled from the conversion van of higher quality/build/material?

I had an overhead shelf/compartment in an old Econoline van, it was awesome. Nowhere near that much headroom in an 09, though, so I'm going to have to figure out something else. :) I was thinking of finding a large center console for a Suburban and modifying it, but I wasn't sure what I can get away with regarding tapping things into the roof/ceiling of the CUCV - is there a spaced off area between the inside and outside of the roof, or am I working with a single ply of metal between me and the outside world?

1ton - I just looked through your build thread (your build is awesome, btw) and didn't find any pictures of the overhead shelf. I don't like the look of the plastic shelves, they seem... chintzy and weak. Is the one you pulled from the conversion van of higher quality/build/material?

I had an overhead shelf/compartment in an old Econoline van, it was awesome. Nowhere near that much headroom in an 09, though, so I'm going to have to figure out something else. :) I was thinking of finding a large center console for a Suburban and modifying it, but I wasn't sure what I can get away with regarding tapping things into the roof/ceiling of the CUCV - is there a spaced off area between the inside and outside of the roof, or am I working with a single ply of metal between me and the outside world?

Gimmie a few... I will dig up some pics, or take/post some new ones... As far as mounting a overhead console... yes you can do this and not "go through" the roof.. On mine, the PO had a overhead light mounted with some short sheet metal screws.. ( that i have removed..) but i can get a rough measurement for you on depth between to inner and outer roof panel...( and thank you on the build compliment...)

Anubis8472

Indeed expensive for what is, for the most part, a board.

I've been thinking of making a shelf for mine. I did some speaker boxes and covered with automotive carpeting and they look pretty good.

In most areas you have 3/4 to an inch between the inner and outer roof sheets. Near the windshield there are actually 3 sheets of metal.
The gap tapers down a bit as you get closer to the windshield.
For the most part though, as long as you're somewhat carefull you can drill and mount all over the roof. Just use short screws/fasteners and stop drilling when you get through the first sheet.

Last edited:

hodgeb

Thinking I might just build my own, actually. I'll take the opportunity to do it right with cabinet doors and fully wire it for electrical. Maybe I'll tap a couple areas in the roof and put some doorway insulation up there to keep her insides a little more isolated from the elements while I'm at it...

richingalveston

I got my shelf from LMC today, It is definately a sturdy piece, It is a decent guage metal with the edges bent, I think it will hold anything you want, you could probably do chin ups on it. I am going to install it tomorrow. It is not as wide as I though it would be, only about 6 inches wide. It does have good angle piece for the visor's. It is also covered with a spray on felt and not glued on cloth so it should hold up well. I like the product, just wish it were a little cheaper. I think it would be difficult to build something out of wood and have it look this neat and clean. I could have probably made one myself out of metal and then rino lined it, but with the cost of metal, welding rods and then rino liner plus two to three days time, I am happy with the investiment. I may have to get a different CB radio, mine is old school and about 10 inches deep so if it goes on the shelf it is going to stick out a long way. new ones are much smaller and would fit without any issues.

Attachments

I got my shelf from LMC today, It is definately a sturdy piece, It is a decent guage metal with the edges bent, I think it will hold anything you want, you could probably do chin ups on it. I am going to install it tomorrow. It is not as wide as I though it would be, only about 6 inches wide. It does have good angle piece for the visor's. It is also covered with a spray on felt and not glued on cloth so it should hold up well. I like the product, just wish it were a little cheaper. I think it would be difficult to build something out of wood and have it look this neat and clean. I could have probably made one myself out of metal and then rino lined it, but with the cost of metal, welding rods and then rino liner plus two to three days time, I am happy with the investiment. I may have to get a different CB radio, mine is old school and about 10 inches deep so if it goes on the shelf it is going to stick out a long way. new ones are much smaller and would fit without any issues.

yup thats exactly what i got from the salvage yard... however the felt, was stained/jacked up, so i took actone to it.. and scrubbed it down... and than painted Flat Black...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks