• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA Farmer's Bobbed Deuce

PaFarmer

I got this done late fall after a lot of late evenings. I have run it around a little and it seems a little more peppy than when it was a 6x6. I like the more compact size. I have another deuce that I will keep basically stock and a third that is going to be converted into a camper.

I cut five feet off the end of the frame and five feet out of the middle of the bed. The stock rear driveshaft was re-used. I used M-105 springs and spring hangers. I made four inch blocks out of brackets that were originally bolted to the rear axles as the spring pads. The blocks are heavy cast, pretty hard to drill for the spring center bolt. Got some 15" u-bolts bent up local, under $10 each.

I am amazed at how high quality the bolts and parts are through out. Everything was rust free, fine thread bolts. Nothing was rusted together. I underestimated how mad the rivets would make me. I ran my flame wrench empty buring them out, everyone who posted about them said they were the most frustrating part and I agree.

I live about 40 miles from Rausch Creek and I looking forward to running around up there and in Shamokin on some other trails we run.

Attachments

PaFarmer

Just finished another project truck, so I got it and the bobbed deuce out to play around in the snow.

After running the bobbed deuce around a little, I decided it was still a big truck for running trails (I've had several Jeeps since 1996 and decided they are a little small). I had a great idea, get an old fullsize and shorten it up a bit. While looking for a good old truck I found some 38" Super Swampers for $100 each, that had 100 miles on them.

I put a 6" lift on a 1999 F-250 with the 38" Swampers.

Funny thing, the two trucks are about exactly the same size. Check out the pics

Attachments

TaylorTradingCo

bobbed Deuce

I plan to bob my first Deuce soon.

One thing I have been paying attention to is the rear axle alingment. Most people use M105 trailer beds and I probably will too, but that usually requires adjusting the length of the driveshaft to get the axle to lign up with the fender well on the trailer bed.

I like that by using a smooth bed you avoided that problem and were able to reuse one of the driveshafts you already had, smart.

Derek Taylor

PaFarmer

I have a 105 bed if anyone wants it cheap. I reused the deuce bed for a couple reasons, like you said the wheel wells on the 105 are 4" further back, the 105 bed is 9' long, my bed is 7' long, my bed has the nuke tie downs and I wanted to keep the dual wheel set up and would have had a problem with the narrow width of the tailer bed wheel wells hitting the inner tire and not covering the outside tires as the 105 bed is more narrow.

snakeater

ranchopper.....why couldn't you have posted that a week or two ago when I started bobbing mine????? That is exactly what we did with the exception of using a really big rolling chain hoist. After messing with it for a few hours we finally broke out the wedges and chisels and got everythig loose. Here I was thinking that I had found an easier way to skin a cat.............snakeater