• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Packing knuckle joints

sermis

Question on packing the knuckle joints?
On the older style ball knuckle joints I see the need to pack them in grease but on the new “U” joint style is there really a need to pack them in grease. I can’t see the grease getting into the “U” joint from being packed. The grease might help keep the dirt and water out for a bit if the boot was torn but not long.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No not at all. Mine have a plug in the center of the cross where i put in a zerk fitting and can grease the u-joints. Your right though. There is no way grease is going to get in there.

randyscycle

The main thing that needs grease in there is the rear thrust washer on the axle where it runs against the inner seal holder and the spindle bushing inside the spindle. Both of those get serviced by the knuckle grease.

The kingpins are serviced of course by the grease fitting on top and bottom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks