• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Padding bows?

cbvet

Anyone got any good ideas about padding the metal bow corners to keep them from wearing through the cargo cover?
Seems there must be something simple, but it's just not coming to me.
Thanks,
Eric

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have considered gluing some thin foam to the bottomside of the canvas. Thoughts?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to try this soon, as the ropes for my end curtains are rubbing through my canvas.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the industral strength velcro, or hook and loop fastener, as they call it, from Mc master.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you are worried about this then don't forget to address the sharp edges on the bow pockets on the headboard, and the nuts that stick out at the same location. I ended up using a file to round off the edges on the pockets. On the nut I used those vinyl pipe caps. I had to shorten it down. I had developed some cuts in my vinyl cover before I noticed these.

On the bow corners I noticed after installing my set that some of the screws on the top had developed burs from the screw driver. I went back through and used a file to take all those off.

cbvet

How about some old fire hose slipped over the bows & corners? I know that stuff is pretty abrasion resistant.
Any firefighters got access to some to try out?
I'll try to check around locally.
Eric

FSBruva

cbvet said:
How about some old fire hose slipped over the bows & corners? I know that stuff is pretty abrasion resistant.
Any firefighters got access to some to try out?
I'll try to check around locally.
Eric
That's what we use to prevent lines from chafing through in the chocks.... works VERY well.

Matt

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a length of bicycle inner tube cut 1" longer than a corner and slide it over the assembled bow? They should be just about perfect in size. :wink: