• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint by numbers

REDWOLF

I found the camo paint pattern for the M1009 in TB 43-0209 but did not find the paint color that goes with the pattern 1 2 3 i am assuming 2 is od green. Does anyone know what they are.:eek:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I did it, I painted the whole truck green and then added the brown and finally the black.

erniemigi

I tried painting by numbers once, i kept going outside the lines, it's hard painting a whole truck when all they give you is a paintbrush, a little jar of paint and a glass of water :cookoo:

I have seen some mop and some rag paint jobs lol

on the military equipment i use to chalk the whole pattern out lightly put each number 123 the colors per say to what the sheet with the design on it said and sometime would have to wing it.A good example try putting a design on the side of a mtvr 7ton troop Carrier aka armadillo These thing usauly on had the cab and rear bumper done. so it took some ingenuity to make it look right But to each thier own its all about havin fun its your truck :wink:

Last edited:

erniemigi

I've have seen one guy use a overhead projector to cast the image onto his truck, he told me it was really easy, he just found the new paint sceme, printed it up on his computer using transparent paper or whatever that stuff is called, you know what i'm talking about. he said it made the job go so much quicker

Attachments

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I am new to SS and have looked around a little.
But what is the best paint for a M35A2 and who sells it?
Thanks!

ONTOS66

Over the years with a variety of vehicles I've had good and really bad camo paint jobs. Following the manual is the safe way, base coat of green, chalk outlines for other colors then spray (if you have that luxury). Some of the paint jobs, and you've probably seen some of them through auction, are really bad due to the paint available, crap old brushes, and lack of interest (or motivation - nothing like the old size 10 correctly applied to motivate the crew) :)

The best camo paint job that I ever enjoyed was applied by a member of my section who built and painted military models for fun. He did our duce and a half free hand with a paint brush and it could have won awards. I almost hated to take it out to the boondocks and splash through the mud .... almost. hehehehehehe

A portion of the bed on my M1028 was painted with paint that was such crap it was more like green Spackle than paint. Thick enough to apply with a trowel. Needless to say I sanded that off and now it is pretty as a peach - a green one.