• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint reducer questions.............

Brad

Howdy friends, been awhile since I was on this site. Always allot of help.
I need some info on paint thinner?
I am using AJP Gillespie enamel WWII Green. Used it before on Dad's M135 with Martin Senour Synthol #8005 reducer and it worked fine.
I seem to remember it cost around $18.00 / gal. Maybe $29/gal.
But I went to get some yesterday and the want $88.00 per gallon! I dont think that is correct.
Anyway, does anyone out there have an idea of its cost? I could be wrong but I cannot find an old reciept.
The guys at the NAPA store dont seem tooooo bright so I want to be sure of the price. If its $88, then its $88, but I doont think so.
Also, reading on line, I see some guys just use Xylene. But some said it dries too fast in hot weather? Of course right now its cool here in Pa, so it might be ok?
I am painting an engine compartment, frame etc of an old Jeep. It might be ok?
So, any thoughts on the correct approx price for synthol, or if Xylene would work?
Thanks again, as always.
Brad Foust

Gunfreak25

Xylene will be fine for this time of the year in your neck of the woods. Have you considered looking into the Behr house paints? They have become extremely popular with our members here, in fact the Idaho Motor Pool guys use nothing but the Behr paints on all the the truck's they sell. You will want the exterior 2 in 1 primer premium plus ultra brand. The great part is they can color match it for you, and these paints are all self chalking and are extremely fade resistant.

I painted my fender over a year ago with the Aervoe 24087 enamel and once summer hit the paint started to finally turn gray and chalky colored. However, the rest of the truck which I never finished painting with the Behr has retained the exact same shade it had when initially sprayed.

Just food for thought, it does seal the metal and it is diesel and gas proof, you can go flat or semi gloss. One of our members here did semi gloss on his M135 and has been very pleased with the durability.

gungearz

Ditto with gunfreak25... If you end up using oil based and its to thick to spray... Reducer is reducer, thinner is thinner, catalysts very by manufacturers but all in all its mostly the same..

Jimma

I have used the Behr on the wood and gillespie on the rest. Use the xylene as a thinner. It wont alter the shade or sheen of the paint. Many other thinners will change the shade of paint or make it look shinny or hard to tuch up. If you use xylene then you can later touch up spots with the gillespie spray cans and the match will be perfect.

Brad

Thanks guys.
Never heard of using Behr paint? Too late though, I have 3 or 4 gallons of the Gillespie already. Just need the thinner.
I guess I'll try the Xylene this fall in the cool weather.
Does anyone have an idea what the Synthol should cost??
I think I saw Xylene at Lowes for something less than $20 a gallon?
Thanks again

Bill W

Its on the can
This paint is Gellespies series 11 enamel, you can use Mineral spirits ( slow dry ) Napha /VM&P ( Med dry ) or Xylene (faster dry). If your going to use a hardener than I would use Xylene.

Attachments

Brad

See, I heard that before. A local guy who has been a professional painter for 40 years told me to just use laquer thinner. He said it would be ok.
I have a hard time understanding that? If it woks then whay are there different paints and thinners????
Thanks again for the advice everyone

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Naptha. It works perfect and was $18 a gallon on sale at Sherwin Williams!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This is from their site

[FONT=arial, helvetica]PAINT THINNING RECOMMENDATION

Thinning ratio for paint & primer is 4 parts paint or primer & 1 part thinner. Most of our customers prefer XYLENE. If you have a Gallon of paint or primer that has set for some time, you will need to scrape the bottom of the can and put it on an agitator for a minimum of 10 minutes to ensure the proper quality. XYLENE can be purchased at your local hardware store.
[/FONT]

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just at Rapco today and the owner said to use Xylene one part to four. Anything else and he said he can't guarantee proper results. I personally say to each his own and what you're willing to risk. I got a gallon of Xylene for $17.50 from him to be safe.

Bill W

My Buddy shot his Gama Goat reducing it with Mineral spirits and it came out great.
I've used Naptha and also Xylene on my other 3 trucks that I painted with same results.

Last edited:

Brad

Another question???
OK, I got me some Naptha. Now a question, just in case.
I was doing a little painting on a different project today using what the can said was "acrylic latex enamel", using a bruch.
I thought I'd use the naptha to clean the bruch. Well, I dont think that went too well.
The paint on the brush just clotted up like cottage cheese or something. I hope that dont happen using the Gilespie? I know it says its what to use right on the can but the naptha dont seem very potent?
I guess I'll find out soon as I get a nice enough day to try and paint.
Thanks to everyone for all the help. I appreciate it for sure.
Brad

Bill W

You brushed with "Latex" paint which is a waterbased paint/emamel., you can clean up ( wet) latex paint with just soap and water!

Gillespie is a alkyld ( Oil ) based paint/enamel., You clean/reduce it with a petrouleum (oil) based distillete
You might want to read up a little more on paint before starting this project :shock:

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Brad, oil and water don't mix. Latex paints are water based, and clean up with water.

You had a mess because you mixed stuff that was made for use on oil based paints with latex paint. Basically, you curdled it, like sour milk.

Keep the solvent/oil based paints away from the water based stuff, and all will be well.

Mix them and you'll have a mess.

Brad

Thanks again as always guys.
I'll send some pics when finished. But I know I will not get the entire jeep painted this year.
What I am doing now is just under the hood and under the front end.
Regards to all,
Brad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks