• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Part number for aftermarket trailer connector?

86M10086.2L

I know this topic has been covered several time before, but does anyone have the part number for the plug in trailer conector that they have purchsed and sucessfully installed on a M1008 or M1009? I know that the kit for a 73-84 truck should work because alot of the military trucks used the older style plugs, but I'm not sure by the looks of the pictures on Hoppy's website that it would work. I know the 86 and up harnees doesn't work. My truck is an 86 and my harness is in good shape and un-altered. However I do not have a central plug like they show in their installation instructions. There are two possibly similar looking plugs at either end of the bumper that go to the tail lights, but the kit only has one adapter. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'm just gonna put a splice in setup for a 7 pole/4 flat combination in and wire it off the military trailer connector.

CCATLETT1984

i have mine hooked up with the connector on the drivers side of the rear (kinda by the support brace for the bumper). I have the 7-round and 4-flat combination adapter, but its not a perfect fit into the hole. its slightly too long so it doesnt sit flush with the mounting surface.

JohnFire

I just used a test light and tracked down which wires were which and then soldered/shrinktubed the connections. When i started tracing out the extra military connections they had on the M1009 they were all poor connections that were corroding. I went with a 7 blade connector due to how common it is and the ease to get any adaptor.

AJMBLAZER

I have the pre-85 connector from NAPA...although it says HOPPY right on the part. It should have a cylindrical tube type part that plugs into your tail light harness and then another set of wires with the four pin connectors on each end that plugs into the cylindrical connector and goes out towards your bumper. It is a two piece part in other words.

Hopefully some "smart enough to fix the problem but lazy enough not to do it correctly" private didn't screw your tail light connector up like mine is. Got that project on the horizon still.

aboonski

Trailer Plug

This is the best way to "cheat" - first you need an old trailer cord from a military trailer. I had one that had insulation problems with the wiring inside of the cable so I used the plug to make a cheater for my civilian trailers. After tracing the correct pins from the plug (while it was plugged into the socket of my CUCV of course) I just soldered the wires from a four-wire trailer connector to the military trailer plug and now I have something that works for all of my military truck applications. I filled in the open spaces around the wires with silicone caulk.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

RE: Trailer Plug

I want to make one of those but with a 7 pin connector. Someone did a write up about it a while back I beleive.

aboonski

You should be able to make one for a 7 Pin application with no problem. You just need to have a meter and go through the trouble of seeing what each pin does as you turn the lights on and move the turn signal arm around, etc. I imagine if you wanted to use a trailer with electric brakes it might involve running a special wire from an auxillary brake activator to the back of the bumper. Sorry I couldn't answer your question.

86M10086.2L

I ended up doing it both ways. I made an adapter out of a old trailer plug I bouoght, and I hard wired a 7pin/4flat plug onto the truck. I would suggest That you trace the wires for any job like this as I found a diagram onhere that had the plugs traced out but it was wrong. Thanks for all the info.

hobie237

I just got a generic connector from an auto parts store and wired it in. I'm about cheap/easy solutions that work, I don't care much about anything else.

hobie237

They do. In fact, those are the wires I used to tap into. Just have somebody step on the brakes (or jam the pedal with a stick) and poke around with a tester.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks