• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Patience With the Steering Gear Pays Off.

dabtl

I have been working on fixing the steering gear. What a task.

No one has adequately covered what is involved here.

First, were I doing it over, I would recommend trying to remove the most upper rear bolt from the steering gear cover. If you cannot do that then an experience awaits. Everything hinges on that bolt.

If that bolt is too close to the engine to come out, get a two ton hoist. Remove the nuts on the motor mounts, four, and lift the front of the engine about 1/2 inch. All else falls into line.

I got new bushings and steering column bearings from Memphis and installed them per directions.

Do not attempt to put the steering column into the box all at once. Put the bearings on the bottom end of the steering worm and insert them into place. Then put the upper bearings into position. Finally insert the steering column and tighten.

Following these simple instructions will save you hours of frustration and cuts on your hands.

Trust me when I tell you that patience and thought will cure a lot of frustration.

dabtl

I kind of figured this would occur.

My camera is in an ammo box on my trailer which is in the shop.

Long story made short:

I bought a couple of pallets of ammo cans at the Army Ammunition Plant at McAlester, OK. Took the trailer to pick up the cans. Stopped at the gate. No tail lights. Cannot enter with the trailer. Parked trailer outside the facility. Back again. No cameras or knives allowed. Back to trailer and left pocket knife and camera. Back again. No matches. Back to the trailer, left matches and road flares. Back again. Found .308 round. Back to trailer.

I finally go in, got the cans and put the trailer in the shop for new wiring. No camera, but I will see what I can do.