• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Perfect end to a fall Saturday

AMGeneral

I decided to take my M52 out for it's weekly drive,So I lift the hood ,ck the oil and water levels.Jump in the cab,turn the acc switch on,CLUNK.Hmmmm ,low batteries,I'll jump it off with the Deuce.I got the old Mack running,go to take off,brake pedal hits the floor.Fill the M/C bleed the brakes,here we go.I go about 1 mile down the road,power starts dropping off,turn around, head for home.1/4 mile from the house the Mack dies,DARN,jump out(i'm only 1/2 way off the road) prime the fuel pump back up,jump in the cab,hit the switch,BANG!!!!!,1 of the 2 batteries explodes vaulting the other battery,batt box and the battery box door off the truck and into the woods next to the road!I ran home (listening all the while for a loud crash,telling me that someone has hit my truck)fired up the Deuce grabbed the towbar and headed out.Hooked up the M52 to my M35 only to have one of the leg pins break as I pull out in the road,effectively blocking the road.Ran home again grabbed another pin,slammed it back in the towbar,and pulled the 5 ton home,only to have the Deuce jacknife when I pulled into the back yard!I think i'll just straighten it all out in the morning.

CGarbee

Dang.... And there I was at the show in Greensboro with my M37 and M274A5 telling folks that I figured that you just had to go into work... If I had known that you were having THAT much fun, I'd 'of hit the road and come on up to your place to join in... :)

Hope that they moring inspection doesn't turn up any nasty surprises...

AMGeneral

Cabell,
I was planning to drive to the ATHS show today,then I remembered there was 4 tons of stone for the driveway I had not unloaded still in the Deuce(I shoveled it all off before all this happened by the way).Plus the injectors I ordered for the 816 came in Friday( I was going to install them today till the aforementioned "FUN" happended).Plus I had a fellow coming to pick up a XL600 Honda I sold on EBAY.I may have been better off if I had gone to Greensboro!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like I said before...how come all the good stuff happens back east!! Glad you got it parked..sort of, without any damage.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like most of my days, im all alone here working on my trucks, with only a little help from the wife. she is getting pretty good at handing wreches and pumping the brakes up Tim

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Kinda makes you wonder if someone was watching out for you, throwing all kinds of obstacles in your way to keep you from a drive that could have been your last? Maybe thats a deep thought but if my father would have been delayed 3 seconds on his way home from work, he would still be here with us. What are the odds that 2 vehicles would collide at an intersection literally in the middle of the desert in the middle of the night? Just a different way of looking at your bad day.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devin, thats a great thought! You never know when an obstacle is a blessing. Haven't forgot your patches yet either.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ive seen several batteries blow up in guys faces when I worked at a dealership. I always wear eye protection and am very careful when playing with connections.