• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Permanent mounting of MEP 005a

bboughey

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker... At any rate, I've bought a MEP-005a, restored it to running condition, modified it for single phase according to sewerzuk's instructions, and want to install it permanently on a concrete pad I've poured. Do I need to put some sort of vibration isolation between the pad and the genset? If so, what do you recommend? That thing sure can shake the trailer. I'm having these nightmares of the pad not being perfectly level and the thing walking itself off my hill. Thanks for your suggestions.

212sparky

I would get 1/2 inch drop in anchors and set them about 1 1/2 down into the slab. Then run 1/2 all thread down in to the anchors and bolt it tight. That is all we do at work. If you are concerned about vibrations you could get equipment mounting isolators to go under it.

steelandcanvas

I would definetly use some vibration dampers, but don't tighten the machine down too hard on them. Too tight and you'll defeat the purpose of the dampers. To secure, use a Ny-Lok nut (one that won't back off w/o a wrench) on your all-threads, and just snug it down. Done correctly, your genset won't walk down the hill.

Last edited:

leedawg

I would get 1/2 inch drop in anchors and set them about 1 1/2 down into the slab. Then run 1/2 all thread down in to the anchors and bolt it tight. That is all we do at work. If you are concerned about vibrations you could get equipment mounting isolators to go under it.
This sounds like a pretty solid plan to me. Mine is just sitting on the gravel next to the barn they have not moved at all while running however perhaps the concrete will cause more vibration however would be bad if it did walk away and rolled down a hill... they do weigh a little over there thousand pounds...

Triple Jim

I'm thinking I might make some Crayon marks on the concrete pad and see if there is any movement of the generator during test runs before going to the trouble of bolting it down.

leedawg

I'm thinking I might make some Crayon marks on the concrete pad and see if there is any movement of the generator during test runs before going to the trouble of bolting it down.
Thats not a bad idea at all either. I really feel like if you dropped this thing down its not going to move much, and if you just put it on some rubber pads on the four corners Im almost sure it would not move anywhere. Its really freaking heavy. Sure would not want to drop it on my toe :)

Triple Jim

Yes, good idea. Strips of inner tube rubber will not only give a little cushion, but help avoid corrosion between the frame and the naturally alkaline concrete. That's particularly important if the 005 has an aluminum frame like my 003 has.

Last edited:

bboughey

thanks guys. Will get some concrete anchors and vibration dampeners too. It's pretty much a one shot deal for me since I'm going to have to rent a forklift to get the thing off the trailer.

flydude92

thanks guys. Will get some concrete anchors and vibration dampeners too. It's pretty much a one shot deal for me since I'm going to have to rent a forklift to get the thing off the trailer.
I am not sure how your pad and trailer are setup but when I picked up my mep-005a from the seller I used my dump trailer. I transferred it to my smaller trailer using bottle jacks
to lift it onto black pipe and rolled it off the dump trailer onto the smaller trailer. A couple months later when the pad was poured I used the same procedure to roll it off the
regular trailer onto the concrete pad. It worked well and saved me from renting equipment to move it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks