• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pertonix ignition coil burn up?

mix4coal

Ok guys. I installed the electronic ignition and need to know something. I know with the points set up you risk burning up the coil if you leave the ignition switch on. Does this hold true with the electronic set up as well? I ran the turn signal power supply from the ignition switch so if I use the hazard flashers I will need to leave the IGN switch on. If it will burn up the coil i will run a new power supply independent of the switch.
If anyone is wondering the Pertronix was purchased at Advanced Auto for $110 shipped to my door using their 20% promo. The #MV-161A. Good deal I believe. I posted this on the G741 also.
Any thoughts?
Robert

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it may burn up the coil. I recently worked on a M601 that had a Pertronix installed and the directions warned against leaving the igniton on. Check out their website, there is a lot of info there.

Frank

PETE BALLARD

In my experience the Petronix unit is more suseptable failure than the other products on the market. My first choice would be the Crane. In my British car i have a distributor made by "123" which looks like a Bosh distributor. It is a bit pricy but i feel it is well worth the cost. I think they will retro fit their electronics into your distributor. This unit come with 17 pre-programed advance curvs to chose from and also has an internal switch to turn the coil off if the ignition is on and the motor is not moving- nice feature to reduce premature ingition component failure. This was one of the best upgrades I Made to my 1967 MGB. It was amazing the difference going from stock wornout distributor to a rebuilt one, to converting to the Crane and finally to the "123" - just my opinion but you cannot argue against 21'st century technology! I say take advantage of it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks