• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pettibone Crane TM's

eng251ine

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for the TM's for an old Pettibone RT Crane.

Model#15B1WF
FSN#3810.00.377.1464
Contract#DSA700.74.C846
Reg#12-31012

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

eng251ine

Thanks for the replies. Have the crane here at work. It was gone over a few years ago, but now seems to be exhibiting some mechanical deficiencies. I would like to troubleshoot in my spare time....it is a nice crane. Based on my knowledge of military TM's (limited to gensets), I know they can be a wealth of troubleshooting and repair information. The motor runs very well, but the hydraulics aren't function well and the transmission is having issues. I'm wondering if it might be something easily repaired like valves, seals, filters or pumps. I'll try to post some pics of the unit tomorrow.

rlwm211 - The LO's you posted are for a different crane. Both are for a 10k capacity crane. This one is a 15k. The pics posted byStonepicker1 are of the unit in question.

Last edited:

mcginlej

Hello to all from a new member. I'm a volunteer mechanic at a warbird museum in Florida, and we have one of these cranes, too, but no manuals. I have a phone call in to "Tippin" , who is the Pettibone parts division. They said they would do some research and call me back.... I would like to share anyhing I find, and ask for help, too.
My first problem is what hydraulic oil to use - we had to drain the main tank and it was pretty milky/dark- would like to add new but it will have to mix with what's in the system... Thanks in advance! Joel McGinley for "vacwarbirds.org"

Last edited:

mcginlej

I did talk to the parts boss at Tiffin, and he was sure that the hydraulic fluid was originally "Rando 32". Since Rando is a brand name, I decided to use an available AW 32 Hydraulic fluid to top-up our system.
He also advised me that the Lubrication Guide was available on their site under Technical and to look for 'Multikrane" to find it. This gave me a 4-page chart of where to look and what to use.
Apparently the full manuals ARE still available from Tiffin - two sections at I think $75 each. Hope this helps. Joel in Florida

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I picked up a 36MK version of this crane from Colorado to replace my 816. At 36k lifting capacity she's no slouch. Needs some new tires. 2 different sizes are messing with the 4x4. Few other things.

Detroit 6v53 is quiet with double mufflers on it.

Hydraulic fluid in these things is AW32 like stated above.

The Clark Transmission recommends Dexron II which does not exist anymore. Using Dex III or Transynd is appropriate.

Axles take 80/90 gear oil.

Mine won't shift out of 2nd. Seems like a cable issue for the most part. Gonna take a few weeks of pressure washing to even find somethings underneath it.

Some history on it is that is was a rental unit atleast in 2003/04. Prior to that it worked for the union pacific railroad. It had rail wheels on it at one point. Under the teal and yellow paint it olive drab green. I believe this is a pettibone color like the old forklifts they made for the military.

Union pacific serial number is MC15. Out of Grand Island, Nebraska M of W shop

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks