• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

photobucket giving me fits, venting and testing.

DavidWymore

Phbckt is set to upload 640 by 480, but sometimes the forum still tells me file is too big. I just uploaded a bunch the other night and was going to post them, but they won't post. Probably have to delete and reload all of them. I resize to 400 x 400 and it still tells me too big. Sometimes when I upload (from iphone app), it uploads doubles of same picture or video. Or if I download from photobucket, it give me a different picture than the one I selected half the time.
Can't find where to email them for help. I'd just quit it, but it have been using it for years, and have TONS of pictures there. Maybe just forget phbckt and load straight from computer...

Attachments

Last edited:

DavidWymore

I can upload straight from my iphone, but they go sideways half the time. Just gotta figure that out. The phone is horrible to type on, but has talk to text which is really nice, but I need to get better at...

deuce1.jpgUSMC 01 Barrman.jpg

IMG_4491.jpgIMG_4490.jpg

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Been working on it some more, got a phbckt tech guy to help by email, photos post fine to a couple other forums... I guess there is the original photo version and the linked out version...maybe since this forum uses the direct link instead of photobucket's img link, SS "sees" the original version and it's too big...but why did it work for a while...?

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Late, dark, tired, in a hurry, forgot to move the bucket from the deuce rear sump before I backed out. Have a laugh at my expense. :mrgreen:

SPILL_zpsimglzjgf.jpg

This one I sent from phone to computer, then uploaded to photobucker from computer, then linked from the URL deal here on SS. I think most of my problems stem from the phbckt iphone app.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Let me ask this-you're not trying to host the images on pb and then have them show up here using some sort of html tags ( [img]) are you?

We have disabled remote hosting here intentionally.

Now, if you're trying to upload the image here, using the photo uploader url option, that's a different matter.

tim292stro

I think the size cap here is 64kb. If you have MS Office on your computer, try right clicking the image icon whereever it is, and see if an "open with Office" option is there. If so click it. In the picture drop down there is an option for "compress", and once you click it, on the right side of the window will be a radio button for "web". Click that and "save as" (give it a file name xxx_web.jpg). That should put it well under the 64kb cap.

If you have Adobe Photoshop, you can go to the File-->Save for Web and Devices. Set the image to a max size of 1024x768 (landscape) or 768x1024 (portrait). Then adjust the jpg quality down from 100% until the preview file size is less than 64kb. Then save.

Apps that do (both iOS and android) are rare, and I suspect full of ad/malware.

Phones don't normally have compression quality options when editing, and this has a HUGE impact on the file size. For a JPG image, the amount of fine detail also play a major part in the file size. As an example, I had to edit this picture with a very fine random pattern in the carpet texture, to blur out the carpet detail so I could keep the image quality higher where I wanted things to be visible:
0324151054a.jpg

I did, a while back, offer to write (for free) a PHP tool for the site admins to automatically resize and compress images which were too big rather than having them dumped after a time or rejected at upload. Heck I could even get it to rotate pictures if the uploading user wanted to... That offer still stands if they want it.

DavidWymore

Thanks! I am using the built in uploader deal where you link out to the url, not just "cold-posting" the url with img wraps. I will play with it some more with new info.

DavidWymore

I tried it briefly once and got frustrated. Admittedly, I didn't give it much of a chance. I can upload straight from the phone, just the pics get posted sideways sometimes.

bchauvette

I use Microsoft "One Drive" cloud server. Much more flexible with mspaint.net free ware to edit and manipulate the pics . Gigabits of storage are pennies.

B.T.W. You can rent Microsoft Office online suite, pricing is reasonable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks