• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Photos of combustion chambers & injectors from 2 engines running WMO

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Frank, in that technical article I posted, if you had just scanned the pics, you would have seen it!

Yes the drawings are in the original patent and in your document but I just had to have the piston in my hand to admire it. Lots of engineering! Apparently this puppy will run with one hole injectors but original design is two hole injectors (different sizes) to get the main fuel ray AND the fuel ignition ray to enhance the direction of air/fuel turbulation. And a fine compressor it is too.
Spherical turbulation.jpg

Ford Mechanic

I can't get my pics to merge onto this thread from my phone, I'll have to do it while I'm at work one day. I don't have pics of the tips but I found while the tips were dirty, the hole in the combustion chamber were almost completely blocked. Mine tested weak and had bad spray patterns. The carbon deposits on the piston did not seem excessive. I had been running WMO and watf for almost a year. The engine had a hunt at idle, that was corrected by the injector clean and reset. Also my EGT's went down and felt power went up considerable. I had some were between 18-20k on the odometer, the engine had 1988 rebuild tags, and I had been putting 2k miles a year on it.

Last edited:

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, we always hear (see) comments about the " fuel and air swirl", refer to picture 3 in post 26, look at the bottom of the piston cup, you can see the swirl pattern. (Disregard the trash in the cup, this was before cleaning.)

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I am about to finish putting my LDS back together again. Should I use the one hole or two hole injectors? I have a set of both.

I also run a mixed bag blend of fuel. I will pull the heads off the LDT and post pics.

Beyond Biodiesel

That is a very useful set of photos. The second photo is easier to see yellow residues on your valves. That yellow residues on your valves is most probably sulfur. Sulfur is a common additive in motor oil, because it increases its lubricity. However, WMO ends up leaving that sulfur deposited on valves and injector tips. So, getting rid of the sulfur is also important in cleaning up WMO to turn it into fuel.

Beyond Biodiesel

Andy3, I have been running a 1983 Chevy G-van with a 6.2L diesel engine in it on gasoline blended with WVO almost exclusively for 8 years, which was only about 10,000 miles, because I live in a small town, and tend to walk or ride a bike, so I do not drive much. For the most part I have had very little trouble with this blend. I have even started my engine on this blend at 0F (-18c).

However, I have had no end of trouble trying to get WMO to run on it without coking my injectors badly. Originally, just blending WMO with gasoline at 20% gasoline, then setting it for even a month or 2 still coked my injectors in days/100s of miles. I found using the chemistry principle of the partition solvent I could remove most of the carbon. At that point I got 3 about months on my translucent WMO blends, but my injectors still coked, but the coke was yellow, so I reason it is most probably sulfur.

How to get the carbon, ash and sulfur out of WMO? Distillation so far seems to be the best solution. I have been working on that for about 3 years. It works, but it is energy intensive, toxic, expensive, and dangerous.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How to get the carbon, ash and sulfur out of WMO? Distillation so far seems to be the best solution. I have been working on that for about 3 years. It works, but it is energy intensive, toxic, expensive, and dangerous.
That is why diesel is more expensive than gasoline. They have to refine/distill it again after it is diesel to remove the sulfur! Next time you complain about the cost of diesel, read BB's last sentence out loud, five times!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks