• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pick up by contracted hauler

drjconley

has anyone ran into problems with gl bacause they werent personally available to assist in a pick up. i am looking at buying a 5 ton from gl about 350 miles away and i wont be able to be on site to assist with any paperwork or loading of the truck.

as always thanks for your help and advice.
jim

dm22630

All you will need to do is sign your pickup authorization & fax it to your shipper. GL will release the truck to them with that paperwork. I have done it many times.

Good Luck

Mike_Pop

I've picked up stuff and hauled it for other SS members from GL. All they had to do was send an authorization with my name on it stating that I was picking it up. It's a standard GL form.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If GL isn't there, make sure somone will load the truck, or make sure the trucking company understands they have to load. If the DRMO says they will not load, then you may be stuck sending a rollback with winch so the driver can self load. Don't send a RGN trailer and expect the truck driver to somehow push the 5 ton on the trailer with his OTR truck. He will call you and you will get a royal chewing. How do I know this you ask . . .

crusty

I have had problems with a pickup by a regular towing company. Some of them are real gypsies. The company I first contacted didn't seem to think that subcontracting the job to someone else would be a problem. When they got to the gate and weren't allowed on base, I guess they learned a lesson. Just make sure your hauler knows about all the ID, insurance, and paperwork requirements, and understands that they won't be BS-ing their way onto a military base anytime soon.