• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a PU-26A/U 1956 Genset

macona

Last week I drove up to Maryville, WA from Portland to pick up an old PU-26A/U generator with the willys L134. I need it to run a large power supply for an electron beam gun in one of my vacuum systems. Running a 10kv @ 1.5a power supply off of single phase in a house does not work...

Anyway, picked it up and brought it down. It was $550 with 1127 hours and has been converted to propane. Its in pretty decent shape, I am missing a couple pieces of sheet metal which should not be too hard to recreate, these things seem very rare and I doubt I will find those parts. It is also missing the exhaust from the manifold on and the oil bowl for the air cleaner, I am trying to find the exhaust off a PE-95, it looks identical so I am hoping to find someone who has parted one out.

I changed all the coolant hoses and checked the thermostat and everything is good. After finally getting the thing running, there was dried mud in the propane line I noticed some valve leak noise in the exhaust. I popped off the side cover and adjusted the valves, this helped a lot but there still was a lot escaping and after running a load on the generator I was hearing some noise from the front of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wo08c19990

Saturday I grabbed a compression tester and put it on, a bit over 100PSI on 2, 3, and 4 and 30PSI on #1. So I yanked the head. Everything looks fine on the #1 exhaust valve until I touch it, it wobbles all over the place. I grabbed the spring compressor and removed the retainers, rotator, and spring. I found the end of the valve is bent! I am guessing some time in the past the valve had locked up and got bent then someone decided to break it loose with vise grips!

I managed to get the valve out with a pry bar and made up a guide remover and yanked out the guide, it was .025" over at .4". Yikes... Parts are ordered now, just get to play the waiting game.

PU-26A/U valve job by Jerry Biehler, on Flickr

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks