• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up tomorrow and questions

sierrajcharlie

I'm picking up my first M1009 tomorrow. :p It has less than 26000 miles, has new tires, excellent interior and solid body with no rust. I'm all fired up, hopefully it will too. Now I've got a question. I bought a civi 86 K5 Blazer, 3 speed auto, 6.2 diesel this spring. He had replaced the glow plugs, injectors, injector pump, alternator, and 2 batteries. It is though, a 12 volt system. It didn't want to start below 20 degrees and he thought this should do it. It didn't. It starts hard at 30 degrees, bad in NE Iowa. Now I find out it uses a quart of oil every 200 miles. :twisted: My options, find a replacement 6.2. As of yet none in my area, near Prairie du Chien WI or in the ads I've seen on this site. Does anyone out here know of somewhere else to find one in my area. (Hope this shouldn't be asked in the classifieds) The other option is, will a gas motor bolt right into everything? They're much easier to come by here. Has anyone doe this and how did it go? Right now I'm just looking for information/input. Thanks to all!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just find a civy parts truck and take the harness etc. Very simple swap.

BIG_RED

A small block Bolts up to engine mounts and tranny without modification. You'll want a new torque converter and probably a new tranny governor. (or else your gasser will shift early like the diesel did). Flush the fuel tank well if you reuse it.. Diesel in a gasser is bad. Might need vapor equipment for the fuel tank - I don't know anything about that. You can use the diesels Radiator, just make sure you use a t-stat. (I imagine the larger rad would keep a gasser without a t-stat a little on the cool side. You should probably use a t-stat always, I just know some people don't). If my 6.2 blows up, I'd slap in a 350 immediately. 6.2's are hard to come by around here too. I could get a running carbed 350 for $200 here and have my truck up and running for the cost of 3 tanks of fuel. Eventually I want a cummins for it, not enough money now.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6.2L engines can be had from anywhere of about $250 on GL to about $1000 at one of the resellers. Boyce, Idaho Motor Pool, Eastern, there are lots of them out there.

Shipping is fairly straight forward.

91W350

Do a search for Chevrolet or 6.2 on GL. In the past they have been dumping 6.2 engines as they replaced them with the 6.5 engines. Sometimes they will include two or three in one auction. Post up in the classifieds here, we have some members with spares.

sierrajcharlie

The one's in the containers!!?? I watched some 3 units sold 3 hrs from here reasonable. The description said for salvage, so I wasn't sure if they'd run. aua A couple looked really good!! So, proving I'm new even more. Rule of thumb, if the motor is in a container it should run? Aren't us rookies fun to watch!! I do trouble shooting/repair in communications for a job. I always tell people there isn't a dumb question just easily answered ones. I'm telling myself that right now. Thanks to ALL!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks