• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics: Deuce working with farm implements?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The rear PTO on the deuce (or rather the extra driveshaft attachment on the rear of the back axle) makes for a tempting thought about using it as a power source for farm implements. Not sure if anyone has ever done this. Anyone have any pics of using the deuce for farm use, by powering any of the following?

bushhog
log splitter
grain/haybale elevator
thresher
trencher
baler
planter
sawmill
etc.

JeepMan

It only turns when the truck is moving so stationary impliments will be out of the question.
Will it turn fast enough/slow enough for other impliments?
Better using a PTO off trans/transfer w/shaft to back like Jeep/Dodge Power Wagon.

beaubeau

Log Splitter behind a DEUCE!!

:driver: Hey,Maddawg308! I was thinkin the same thing!A log splitter behind a DEUCE. Then :deadhorse I realized the Wheels have to be in Motion to run the Proppeller shaft.I can picture this Person chaseing after the Deuce and Splitter hoocked behind it trying to put a piece of Wood in the Splitter!!?? :cookoo: One good thing about all this, is that the Deuce is geared Lo and maybe it is not so bad, after all!! But then we must chase after the Split wood which is now scattered all over the Yard!! :deadhorse: LOL LOL !!! Sorry, I just thought a little Humor would be good about now!! Too much Snow is affecting my Civillity aua I often wonder why Farmers don't make use af MV,especially the Deuce and hauling Hay or manure with in. The 6x6 would be great in pastures !By cutting a Deuce and making a trailer with it and Hoocked behind another Deuce with a Shaft between the 2 would now make it a 8x8 !!Can Haul many Haybales this way!! Have a Happy, Phil

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: Log Splitter behind a DEUCE!!

If you put a bush hog on it, you better have a huge field to mow, the turning radius would be a PITA.

beaubeau

RE: Re: Log Splitter behind a DEUCE!!

Hey guys, I just remembered that I have a FRONT MOUNTED log splitter in the barn for a VW! It straps to the front bumper and U place the log against a Concrete wall. U then proceed to drive VW at a rate of speed of 50mph, and drive directly into the Log possitioned against the Wall!!Wood Splinters, all over the place!!!

JohnnyReb

The jeeps manufactured for the civvie market after WWII were often promoted as an alternative to farm tractors because of PTO. I don't know if the wheels had to be turning or simply let out the clutch for PTO operation. Any of you jeepers know?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
JohnnyReb said:
The jeeps manufactured for the civvie market after WWII were often promoted as an alternative to farm tractors because of PTO. I don't know if the wheels had to be turning or simply let out the clutch for PTO operation. Any of you jeepers know?
http://www.agrijeep.com/jeeps/index.htm

poppop

We have a member in our tractor club that buys jeeps and sells used parts. At one of our plowdays he brought an old Jeep with a three point lift on the back and had a harrow mounted. He fell in line with the tractors and plowed with his Jeep.

beaubeau

In this day and the cost of fuel, I wonder how feasable it is to run that Stickler? last year I built a Wood processer where I place a 30ft log and I sit and pull levers and the wood is cut, split and falls into the truck. I am getting to old to cut and split any other way. The unit runs on a Honda 13 horse motor and will run all day on 2gals of gas.

Barrman

AB Linn has one of those 3 point pto Jeeps. He had just finished shredding his field with it the one time I was there.

I also think it would be cool, but turning radius and visibility have kept me from thinking too hard about it. Now, with a hydraulic pto and a bat wing shredder it might be great.

beaubeau

Overkill!!

:driver: Hey Rizzo, that looks a little Overkill!! :!: But then again I wonder how manny Horses would be needed to do the same thing? It looks like I can pull the disc harrow with my Honda 4wheeler!!??LOLI got 250 acres and there is no end to the things I come up with to make life easier around here! :grd: Good luck, Phil

JasonS

Why not a PTO driven hydraulic pump to operate your tow behind log splitter?

Or, use a rear transfer case PTO with driveshaft routed to the rear of the truck to operate farm equipment?