• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'Pin-on' 10,000lb front winch

L

lehmofen

@ gringeltaube

Hallo gingeltaube,

ich bin aus Österreich und bin mit der Sprach und dem Forum nicht so vertraut.
Ich würde Informationen über eine alte Garwood winch brauchen.
Wohin kann ich mich da wenden. So nun versuch ich das auf englisch.

I an writing form Austria/Europa an searching for information of an old
Garwood winch. I have only a list of numbers from the individual parts.
Can anyone help me to find out which model of winch it is
Winch Worm Housing Cover Number 12Y6214
Worm shaft Number 12Y6209
Clutch Shifter Fork Number 12Y6204
Winch Sliding Clutch Number 40 8 757
Winch Cable Drum crabbed

spicergear

Well...pretty much exiting the end of the tunnel on this project. Bumper is complete, winch is done, made a collar for stem of the jib to set the height and a short pulley'ed lanyard to set how far out the rope would be at the end of it. Only thing left to machine now are a set of pins for the upper link to replace the 7/8" deep well Craftsman sockets that have been filling in. Enjoy the pics, ...if anyone caught the post about the jib mount I had made for the rear that bolted to the side of the rear winch mounting plate, this is the same little jib incorporated into the front bumper. Moving a 40-some pound jib is easy compared to the amount of work saved in figuring how to lift an estimated 275lb winch assembly. I can pick it and put it on in about two minutes. The winch will be stowed in the bed and I'll lower it out of the bed with the jib on the rear, swap the jib to the front, move the truck then pick it up again. I gotta make it like this since I'm usually by myself.

The 3 bolt shackle mounts on the top of the bumper are from under the bumperette on the rear of a deuce truck and the stepped shackles off the front. Under the 3 bolt mount is a hunk of 1-1/4" that is used to stow the stepped shackles when the winch is installed and also give another nice solid pull point if needed. On 'bumber demo 9' you can see the winch from the mounting side. Notice the two lower 3pt hitch pins which engage the holes in the face of the front bumper then get a simple flip pin on the back side to make the lower winch mount. There is no down-weight from the winch on them, they're just keeping it from rotating on the heavy 1-3/16"-ish (roughtly 30mm) pins on top. The mounts for them is pretty sturdy with 1" thick on driver's side and 1-1/4" pass' side. The difference in thickness was the length and fit. The upper pins take the all the winch's weight and the lion's share of the load winching.

Attachments

Last edited:

spicergear

Took a piece of 1/2"x 3" flat stock and put two bends in it then punch holes in the two 'tabs' that were bent out to pin through to secure the winch in the front corner of the bed. The mog had some type of mounts bolted into the drop side bed side and I bolted the flat stock piece to that. Ended up being really simple and should hold the winch in place nicely. Here's a poor pic of the winch residing in the bed.

Attachments

40grit

I even came up with a German nickname for the truck seeing how I've called the winches 'meat grinders' for a while...thinking that would command respect for them as if you get caught in it- that's what you'll be in. 'Fleischwolf' is German for 'meat grinder.' :mrgreen:
that's a good nickname as I seem to remember someone getting their hand caught in a spooling winch line at Top truck, almost got to experience the meat grinder, lucky the lever was still within reach.
looks like a great build as expected from you, story about the downhill run thru the pinetrees had me laughing my a$$ off, typical SpicerGump.

spicergear

Thanks Vintage Iron!

Hey 40 Grit, glad to give you a laugh! Oh, the winch thing at TTC...at the end of the tank trap we had the winch line draped back across the truck and sort of supported by the mirror stay and door handle as it went back the door and into the bed where a bunch of it was hastily stowed. That last big water hole made a big bump at one point and I kicked the PTO in with my knee. Spooled my hand tight to the door. :mrgreen:

spicergear

The little crane on the back was something my dad had built long time ago and made up a mount for on his old classic. When I purchased the 10K Garwood I knew I was picking it up with the Mog and didn't want the hassle of trying to heft it up onto the bed. I took a couple days and made a heavy mount that bolted to my rear winch mount. The little jib may weight 40lbs so it's not too bad to slide on or off. I can pick the winch out of the bed and lower it to the ground, then pull the jib and put it on the front, then back the truck around and pick the winch up on the front. Doesn't take much time at all and the most weight I have to lift is just the little jib and not the couple hundred plus pound winch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks