• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinellas County, FL Code Enforcement

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the definition of recreational vehicle as defined in Chapter 138. They exempt boat trailers and RVs from the height and width restrictions. The definition may be broad enough to cover your truck.

Good Luck.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good for you..!

I am willing to go to court over it.

GOOD FOR YOU...! Stand on your own 2 feet and fight back, have the guy you talked to served for Court on discrimination and taxation w/o representation.

Trust me their tune will change real fast. I do admire you for doing the right thing..! Who knows you might set a prescience for the MV in your State.

Don

saddamsnightmare

October 23rd, 2012.

Technically, when the OP altered the deuce, he did not, and could not, legally reduce the gross and tare weights of the original truck, even though he removed one axle and altered the bed. Granted, the truck could no longer carry 2-1/2 to 5 tons, but the law can only recognize it as descended from the type or original vehicle.

Further, since you code goes by size, as an inspector I would rule the vehicle inoperable without the stack, with the windshield lowered, with the steering wheel (it's still too tall acording to the dimensional data plates) and with the tires deflated. You would have an inoperable truck under Florida DMV regs. I hate to play the devil's advocate, but if your town or county has a sharp enough lawyer, you might well lose your case.

You may win in court, but I do not believe that the Florida DMV is goning to cooperate on this one, as you are not legally an engineering firm qualifyied to re-prototype the truck, and if you do it will move the safety and other considerations up to the year of the rebuild (See M35A3) for legal, inspection and operational purposes.

I am one of those, who in my own thoughts, figure you guys that bob are opening a can of worms legally that the rest of us don't need. Because if your alterations involves your truck in an accident, it is going to draw attention to those of us with stock vehicles, and yone day one of you all are going get our vehicles limited (as in Wisconsin and other states). When you lose the third axle, you lose more then 33% of the braking power this truck was designed to have, and the other drums are not large enough to efficiently absorb the heat loads generated without axle No.3.

:(

While some of our members here will differ with me, you must be a good neighbor, not an obnoxious one, court cases have been lost just based on irritating your neighbors enough, and if you live in a fairly wealthy area, the neighbors, who will likely be on your jury, probably do not look favorably upon nails that stick up. If it were a Mercedes Benz like Ahhnolld's, you might make the case, but I still think you are going to have a rougher time then you imagine.

Good luck, but you might not come out on top.:gimp2:

Last edited: