• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pinholes in Air and Fuel Tank

renovate7

I took the Truck to a sandblaster this week. We removed the bed, the 4 inner tires on the rear, seats in the cab, spec plates and everything else we could. It got blasted front to rear, top to bottom, then a good coat of primer and 7 gallons of 34094. Looks like new... I've ended up with a pinhole, 1/8", in an air tank and several in the fuel tank. I put a "patch" of 22 ga metal with JB weldd over the hole in the air tank and put screws in the holes in the fuel tank to get it home. I'm a big beleiver in JB Weld and am wondering if that is OK or should I take it to a welder, remove the patch and have it welded up. I'm OK with using the patch method on the fuel tank. I know I can get "good" takeoffs but think they may not be any better than what I've got now. Saturn has new air tanks for $140 shipped but trying to get a new fuel tank delivered would be cost prohibitive. The thoughts of the Board would be appreciated.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't trust a "patch" on the air tank(s). Your brakes depend on it.
Pin holes in the fuel tank may indicate that you have a rust problem and rust in the fuel, even microscopic can damage the fuel plunger in the IP hydraulic head.

derby

I think JB Weld is a neato product,but if the tanks are pitted and have pin holes you will get more.for Your own safety I would at least change the air tanks.the fuel tank? if it blew out a rust scab you stand to lose $200+ in fuel, and if it is in the wrong place and the wrong time,You could end up with some Environmental issues.I think you would be better to change both tanks.

ygmir

I'd replace the air.
I've heard of a product for the fuel tank, that, you clean the inside (some folks put crushed rock in it and roll it around), and, pour this liquid, I'd imagine it's HDPE, in and turn it every way to coat the inside and let it dry and it creates a very durable "liner" in the tank.
good luck

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kreem is the junk for the fuel tanks. I've had it work and had it peel off. When it peels, you lose the fuel and it plugs the fuel system. Just replace the damaged parts, it will be safer for you and the people around you.

http://www.kreemproducts.net/

saddamsnightmare

May 18th, 2008.

I agree with Will Wagner and Cranetruck above..... The duece brakes can be unforgiving and there's no patch made that will guarantee your life and those around you like a new set of air tanks, and ditto for the fuel tanks.... bust one of those in the right spot, and you WILL have the EPA and possibly even the Coast Guard or Corps of Engineers on your case.... and your insurance company might not cover it....
If you can't afford to do proper repairs, you might not be able to afford the truck..... Cruel, but factual, they aren't toys, no matter what you think about them........ and the fact that they're not brand new means you have to stay on top of their maintenance and repairs all the time.
Just my 2cents worth, and I may be :cookoo: , but this is a very serious subject.

Regards,
Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
19?? Johnson Mfg. Co. M105A2, Ex OKLA Army NG Unit.
1967 Hercules MEP23A Gasoline Generator Set
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S404.114, Mercedes Benz

Jones

Most pitting is from internal rust and if one shows through you can figure there are about 8 more just ready to break the surface. I'd replace all and offset any grumbling over the expense with the knowledge that you're getting off a lot cheaper than a trip to the emergency room. Heck, it's probably even cheaper than the fees for towing a deuce.
Don't gamble with your hide.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i fiberglassed my pitted my fuel tank on the outside bottom as a quick fix, after 4 years still holding

pa.rich

I agree with most of you. If a fuel tank is leaking in one spot, chances are there are many other spots ready to come thru. Get a good tank. Both of them. Spilled fuel does alot of damage. No brakes maybe fatal. I dont think you would want to drive with worry either.That takes the fun out of it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks