• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pink Wire - is it needed ??

Old timer

This is my first post so I hope I did it right.

1986 M1008

I changed the fuel housing assembly to a spin on filter due to leaks. What do I do with the pink wire hooked up to the injector pump? The old sensor go a bit torn up in the change out process. Do I need to get a new sensor and plug it in and leave it dangling? Saw some posts that said vehical will not start without it.

Ran batteries dead trying to fix old leaking fuel housing so am charging batteries now.

Thanks for any help.
Old Timer

Old timer

Pink Wire is it needed

Well !! I asumed that the pink wire went to the fuel pressure sensor.

Can tell me a bit about the pink wire and what are people doing with it when they install a modern spin type fuel filter????

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Old Timer

ida34

The injection pump is on the engine and the pink wire is the one that shuts off the fuel when they key is turned off. Are you calling the filter block the injection pump? The wires on the filter block are for the water in fuel light, fuel heater, and diagnostic info for the STE-ICE connector. Any of the connections at the filter base can pretty much be ignored unless your new filter has a water in fuel sensor.

ida34

I forgot to mention. The normal position for the solenoid on the injection pump is closed so if it is disconnected the engine will not get fuel. If you are talking about the filter housing and the wire is actually pink and black then it is for the water in fuel light.

Last edited:

Old timer

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for the info - yes I was talking about the pink wire from the old fuel filter housing.

I'm afraid I have created a bigger problem. Same day as I saw the leak and decided to fix it - I changed out the bright light clicker. Put everything back together and then had to jiggle the shifter to get the key to start the vehicle and then move the key slightly to get the shifter to change.

Got home and put the new fuel filter housing in with the spin filter. Now can't get vehicle to turn over at all. Any ideas ?????????

So its ok to leave the disconnected harnesses from the sensors (3) off the old fuel housing ?????

Any idea what I could have messed up in the steering column that would cause the truck not to start at all ????

Many thanks for any help - this is my only vehicle

Old timer

ida34

Just make sure the old sensors connections will not short to anything.

The key cylinder turns a rack to push and pull on a rod that attaches to the ignition switch farther down the steering column. Best I can say is take it apart and try to find where you went wrong. Sounds like you did not get the column back together right but I guess that is pretty self evident right now.