• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle Hitch for M101A3

connordanny

Hello there,
Quick question for you guys...
I recently won an auction for a M101A3 at Ft. Meade and have my EUC in review at Battle Creek. I have a question over which type of Pintle Hitch to purchase for the recovery. I will be pulling it with a stock ext cab 2wd Silverado (5.3L). My preference would be a receiver mount pintle hook. With the height of the trailer would I have to get the other style pintle hook that mounts to a raised plate coming out of the receiver?
I tried searching, but couldn't find any specifics. I did find tons of info on rewiring for a 4-pin. Thanks everyone for that!

I was looking at this one below from amazon:

Amazon.com: Tow Ready 63043 5 Ton Receiver Mount Pintle Hook: Automotive

Here is a link to the M101A3:

2330 - Trailers at Government Liquidation

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! I would recommend getting the raised pintle. I have an F150 4X4 that I pull an M116A2 trailer with, and this trailer is a modified M101A2. With the raised pintle, the trailer is almost level. Your 4X2 will be sitting lower and I think you will be happier with the raised pintle. However, on my F150 the tailtgate barely clears the top of the hitch, so be careful that you don't damage your tailgate.

Ripcord01

Most of us use a riser plate and pintle hitch. With just a pintle it would be okay for the recovery but once you start using it for hauling you might want to keep it as level as you can. Good score.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Great trailer! Get the "high rise, w/pintle". That said, they all aren't the same. Check the weight rating. My riser plate has 7 holes in it with a solid 2" shaft. The pintle is made by Holland and is rated for 16,000#. The cheap pintle is cast, not forged! I broke one once!

The above comment about clearance for your tailgate should be noted.

K9Vic

:ditto: on the risers

You should not need the 7 hole riser, but do not quote me on that. I had a guy with a F250 Super Duty 2WD pickup a M101A2 from me and was OK with the shorter riser, but you have a 1500 Silverado so you may need it. You do not want the trailer to be on too much of an inward angle as the brakes may engage and that would be bad if you are not stopping.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nobody mentioned it so I will. Your trailer is a 101a3 chassis with an A2 bed on it. That means the inner fenders are not as wide. Might not matter for you, but I thought I would put it out there.

SteveKuhn

I have a Reese 12 1/2" riser with a pintle bolted on for my E-350. Some are noted for only 'drop'. Mine is labeled for 'drop' or 'rise'. Worth checking for legalities and insurance.

You're probably a tad shorter than the E-350 so the height should be to your advantage. Here are some comparison photos showing the 2 tire sizes and angles.

I found that that there was a big, unfavorable difference in the nose down pulling characteristics with the military tires. Shame, because they were brand new and I really wanted them.

The 2nd photo is the angle before changing out the military tires. The 1st is a closeup after changing to tires that just happened to be off a Suburban on the same A3 trailer as in photo 2. The 3rd is my A2 with truck tires showing almost dead level towing with truck tires.

Both trailers tow GREAT! Don't know they're there.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

Whitey

Nobody mentioned it so I will. Your trailer is a 101a3 chassis with an A2 bed on it. That means the inner fenders are not as wide. Might not matter for you, but I thought I would put it out there.
Gimp is right about the A2 bed. A lot of trailers in a recent Meade auction were mislabled. Mislabled, in that there where A3 axles on A2 trailers and vise versa. I guess GL just picked whatever was on the data plate or just plain guessed.

Use the riser, Tractor Supply should have them. We use a fixed, non rotating, pintle from a MUTT mounted on a riser and tow with an F250 and have no problems. Also, don't forget trailer lights. Harbor Freight has cheap ones, just make sure they are wired right before using them. Good luck!

connordanny

Thanks all for the quick replies! I will check out TSC for the riser style and I already picked up the $9.99 harbor freight lights. Gimpyrobb and Whitey, what is the difference in the A2 bed? I sure didn't notice that when I bid on it... but I don't think it will really make a difference to me.
Thanks again for all the help!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Thanks all for the quick replies! I will check out TSC for the riser style and I already picked up the $9.99 harbor freight lights. Gimpyrobb and Whitey, what is the difference in the A2 bed? I sure didn't notice that when I bid on it... but I don't think it will really make a difference to me.
Thanks again for all the help!

Less than 48" between the wheel wells for the A2 and more than 48" for the A3. Doesn't make much difference unless you want a 4x8 sheet of plywood or some of the military shelters in there.

Hello there,
Quick question for you guys...
I recently won an auction for a M101A3 at Ft. Meade and have my EUC in review at Battle Creek. I have a question over which type of Pintle Hitch to purchase for the recovery. I will be pulling it with a stock ext cab 2wd Silverado (5.3L). My preference would be a receiver mount pintle hook. With the height of the trailer would I have to get the other style pintle hook that mounts to a raised plate coming out of the receiver?
I tried searching, but couldn't find any specifics. I did find tons of info on rewiring for a 4-pin. Thanks everyone for that!

I was looking at this one below from amazon:

Amazon.com: Tow Ready 63043 5 Ton Receiver Mount Pintle Hook: Automotive

Here is a link to the M101A3:

2330 - Trailers at Government Liquidation

Thanks in advance!

Get the riser for the pintle. I tow with a Burb 4x4 and need it to get it close to level.

Grainger had the best price and you can use a local contractor's name to get a discount., they should ask you for a name and it doesn't matter if you work there or not.

You have an A2 with an A3 axle at the least...Might have an A3 frame though.

koolex11

Your a3 lunette will sit about 24" off the ground when the trailer is level. Measure your receiver and decide whether to get an 8 pin or a 14 pin riser plate. If you can get away with the smaller plate, use that one. The 14-pin riser is too big and will bend eventually.

koolex11

Ooh 14" is low. Your biggest riser plate (14-pin) will only add about 7" and you need about 11" to get the trailer to sit level (your truck bed will drop) so you may want to consider Harley's solution above. Since you won't get the trailer level with the big plate, just get the small one from TSC and save a few bucks, then figure out what you want to do later.

Also mentioned above is the safety chains. Get two 12" sections of chain, some links, and you will probably need new hooks as well. The military hooks don't fit into most civi hitch setups.

Good luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks