• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle/Lunette Ring Size for FMTV

coachgeo

did a search various ways and did not come up with anything. If someone knows of a link to existing thread feel free to pass it on.

hat size ring is the Lunette/Pintle to fit these truck's hitch. 5"?

coachgeo

appears some Pintle rings they sell are advertised as 3"... but they aren't (but are)..... technically. They are 3" somewhere..... but NOT at the eye. The 3" one I just bought at TSC is not equal to the 3" that fits the truck. The TSC Pentle eye is actually only 2.5"

Update: see now written in finer print on the box off to the side the 2.1/2". Took it back. Found one's online with free shipping for about half the price anyway.

This is going to go an 18 foot trailer which will hold an old Commercial cargo box... This will be more or less a portable shop. (Can't yet afford a whole shop lol)

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
appears some Pintle rings they sell are advertised as 3"... but they aren't (but are)..... technically. They are 3" somewhere..... but NOT at the eye. The 3" one I just bought at TLC is not equal to the 3" that fits the truck. Looks like the eye is actually 2.5"
You are right about that not all of the military Ø3"-tow rings (aka lunette) actually measure 3.0" inside. Seems to be a nominal size, only...
To confirm this, I just measured a couple of M116A3 - which have seen little to no use: inner Ø = 2.935"; outer Ø = 6.250"; ring thickness = 1.658"
We are talking here about the eye being only little over 1mm too small, which would be very easy to grind to correct size, if... your pintle hook didn't already fit.

Now, if you got one with a Ø2.5" eye then it isn't a Ø3.0" technically, that's clear or? And it would be a lot of work to enlarge to 3". I'd say, just return it and get the correct one.

This thread is somewhat related...
And here is a bit of good info about what I think are US-made tow ring models and their dimensions... (pages 27-32).